Portable Phones for my Zen Touch
Apr 18, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Borky

Head-Fier
I just got a Creative Zen Touch mp3 player and the supplied earphones suck as expected. So I'm looking to buy something to use on a regular basis when I'm out and about. I listen to mostly hip-hop and electronic music, but my music is still pretty varied, so I especially would like something that gives good, clear bass. Would this disqualify me from getting canalphones or earphones? I've never had any good ones, but they don't really look like something that would give you bass like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't know much about them.

So, if a canalphone wouldn't be good for my needs, what would be the best portable headphones I could get for no more than $100, the less the better?

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 17
In your case I would recommed the Sony MDR EX71, Koss KSC75 and the PortaPro. Oops! After reading your post a second time, you might want to rule out the Sony which gives you plenty of bass, just not clear and loud bass.

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 17
I like the Sony D66's for portable use. They have very clear, well defined bass, but it's not overpowering. If you really like a lot of bass, and are looking for something really portable, I would highly recommend the Sony EX71's. If you have never heard any decent headphones, and are a basshead, these headphones will probably suit you well. I really like them, but now that I have the D66's, and I realize how muffled they actually are. BUT they will provide A LOT more bass than the D66's (even though it's not nearly as well defined). I am actually getting another pair of EX71's for times when the D66's just aren't portable enough (don't fit in a pant pocket).

Very even sound, full-sized portable - Sony D66 Eggo

Tons of bass, strong highs, recessed mids, extremely portable - Sony EX71

Inbetween sound, extremely portable - Shure E2c, E3c, Etymotic ER-6i

Extremely portable = in-ear buds (easily fit in a pocket)

Full-sized portable = over the head, around the ears (folds to fit in backpack)

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 17
Those D66s look pretty big for portables. I'm leaning towards the Sony EX71s, but would they compare to the Shures or Etymotics. I know the latter phones are more expensive, I'm just weary they won't give as much bass.

By the way, I have heard good headphones, I've got a pair of A900s for my home setup.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
Those D66s look pretty big for portables. I'm leaning towards the Sony EX71s, but would they compare to the Shures or Etymotics. I know the latter phones are more expensive, I'm just weary they won't give as much bass.

By the way, I have heard good headphones, I've got a pair of A900s for my home setup.

I never seen the sl66's but many people say that they are smaller that they look on pics.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 17
I had the Zen Touch for a short while and found it to be a dark source. I'd recommend staying away from dark headphones like the e2c or the HD555. Those are some great headphones, but they are really boring when paired with the Zen Touch. I think the KSC35 would be a pretty cheap but great solution. I thought the KSC35 sounded fantastic out of the Touch.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 17
I would recommend either the Koss KSC 75 or Koss Portapros if you like bass and a pair of Etymotics if you want a good pair of portable headphones with detail and clarity and need isolation or are not a bass head.

I use either the Porta Pro's or Ety 4P's depending on what I am listening to and my isloation needs. The Ety's are a league above the Porta Pro's
etysmile.gif
but if I don't need the isolation or am listening to an audiobook, I usually use the Porta Pro's. I also have the KSC50's that have now been replaced but the KSC 75's,

At home I use either Grado SR-60's or my Ety's, usually with a headphone amp if portabily is not an issue. You can't go wrong with Ety's or Koss - both are great values for the money.

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 17
The 75s are basically the same in sound, but they are heavier than the 35s and a bit more noticeable (or uglier
biggrin.gif
). On the plus side, they are also a lot cheaper and sturdier. You might want to try them out if you can find them. I know that Meijer sells them for around $15 if there is one near you. Otherwise, there are several online vendors that sell the 75s for around $20. The only place where you can get the 35s are from Koss.com.

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 17
By the way, if you want to spend some more and aren't too concerned with size, I wholeheartedly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT231. You can get it from either headroom or toddthevinyljunkie. The DT231 is a little bigger than those cheap Sony over the ear phones you see at Best Buy, but they aren't too big, and they sound fantastic. Can't go wrong with these at the $60 they sell them for.

Apr 19, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 17
semi-canals : panasonic hje50 and sharp md33s. I have both and prefer the sharp's but both are very good, especially for the price. I think the Panasonic's are $20 in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back