Portable phones... Decisions, decisions...
Jan 19, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reemixx

Head-Fier
I bought the ATH-AD700 for my home rig (love 'em) now I'm looking for some phones for my portable rig. Price range would be $50 - $100.

My primary concern with these earphones would be ease of use putting them on and taking them off. I'll be using them on-the-go, and would like to be able to quickly take them off when I need to. Ease of use and comfort would rate even higher than sound quality, I think. However, I don't want them to sound like a hot pile of poo, either. But I won't be doing any critical listening with these, put it that way.

I also don't want total isolation, because I like being aware of my surroundings when I'm out and about. So this rules out many different canal phones However, some isolation is okay. They also shouldn't leak sound very much, if at all.

The models I'm considering are:
  1. Yuin PK3
  2. UE Metro.Fi 2
  3. Sennheiser CX300
  4. JVC HA-FX33 'Marshmallow'
  5. JVC HA-FX55
  6. Sennheiser PMX 200

I understand the Metro.Fi and CX300 have shallow tips that don't fit so deeply into your ear. Do they isolate well? Which of these has more clarity, and which has more bass? And are they comfortable and easy to put in your ears and take out? Would you irritate your ears doing this constantly?

The PK3's I'm a little skeptical about. Not because of the price/quality (I hear they're a fantastic buy) but simply because they're earbuds. I'm not really a fan of earbuds, but that's likely because I've never heard a good quality pair before. For my uses though, it seems earbuds would be the best way to go, because they suit my needs best; easy to put in/take out. Are the PK3's comfortable? Earbuds usually make my ears a bit sore after extended use, never seem to fit properly, but I'm willing to give these a go as they're relatively cheap anyway. Oh and by the way, do the Yuin PK3's have a J-wire or Y-wire?

Do the JVC phones sound like poo? Not worth the $29 or $39 respectively?

The Sennheiser PMX 200 is a mixed bag. I threw it in there because I like the ease of use of neckband style headphones when I'm out and about, and these were the best I could find (other than PMX 100 which leaks sound too much). Does anyone have any experience with these? How do they sound? Are they comfortable? If there are other neckband style phones out there that are better, I'm all ears. They can't be too big and bulky though, I'm after something quite portable.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies.

The PK3's are on my list rather than the PK2's because I'd rather experience those before stepping up to the next model. I may decide I don't even like buds a whole lot, in which case spending AU$100 on them is a bad idea. If I love the PK3's heaps, then I can always upgrade to the PK2's later down the track.

PK1's are out of the question due to price and need for an amp.

By the way, I actually prefer the J-wire over the Y-wire, but I'm not basing my purchase on the type of cord they come with.

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 6
HardHeadCase: Sure, but I'd rather try the lower model and upgrade later than take a huge risk and end up hating them. Like I mentioned in my first post, I'm not a huge fan of earbuds. And besides, it's not like I'd be wasting my money - there's always a use for a backup pair if I do decide I like them a lot.

Anyway, my girlfriend might be getting the PK3's, in which case I'll try them out first to see if I like them and find them comfortable. Having thought about it some more, I could probably find uses for both canalphones and buds, but I'll go with the canalphones first.

I've had some input from elsewhere, and now have the following to choose from:

UE Metro.Fi 2
Vsonic R02-Pro

I prefer the build quality of the Metro.Fi's, but heard that the Vsonics sound really good for the price. Is one pair easier to fit than the other? Has anyone's Vsonics broken or had any issues? And will either of these fit the Shure E3G tips by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back