Portable (or small) CD player with Digital Out?
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PatrickT

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a small cd player that has a digital out (to use with a DAC and an amp). Do these exist anymore? With the advent of the iPod, these seem to have gone away. Any recommendations for one that isn't crazy expensive?

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 16
There were very few portable CD players with a digital output. I think these were long discontinued and are expensive now. You might have better luck finding a portable CD player with a line out. Some of the Panasonic ones were very good.

Why not use an mp3 player? Even some cheap mp3 players like the Sandisk Clip+($30 for 2GB, it has a micro SDHC card slot)
sound great.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks.

This is actually for my Dad who has tons and tons of classical cds that he wants to listen to and it would be a pain to rip them to MP3. It seems like the easiest solution would be to get a cd player (if we can find one).

Would a newer (small) DVD player work?

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 16
I think it is much more of a pain to carry around CDs than to rip them. Once they are ripped, he can store them in an out of the way place. If you get him a Sandisk Clip+(The 2 GB one is only $30) and a 32 GB micro SDHC card($30) then for $60(plus the cost of an earphone or headphone if he doesn't have a decent one) he could carry around something like 300 CDs of music in a device the size of a tiny lighter. Carrying around CDs makes them vulnerable to be scratched. It is much better to keep the CDs as a pristine backup.

I searched for portable CD players. It is hard to find decent ones new, and they are expensive. Imo carrying around a portable CD player in the year 2012 doesn't make sense. I stopped carrying them around  in 2005.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks. The thing is, he ONLY listens to this music at work and won't be taking it places. He already has an 80gb (I think) iPod classic...so getting an mp3 player isn't the issue. He just prefers cds in general. Also, it would take a long time to rip as many cds as he has...

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 16
If he isn't going to carry it around, then why not get a compact bookshelf system? If space is not an issue,  why not get a full sized DVD player? That would be cheaper, and probably offer much better sound quality. I think those Panasonic DVD players in the $30-40 range are supposed to be decent enough.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I think it is much more of a pain to carry around CDs than to rip them. Once they are ripped, he can store them in an out of the way place. If you get him a Sandisk Clip+(The 2 GB one is only $30) and a 32 GB micro SDHC card($30) then for $60(plus the cost of an earphone or headphone if he doesn't have a decent one) he could carry around something like 300 CDs of music in a device the size of a tiny lighter. Carrying around CDs makes them vulnerable to be scratched. It is much better to keep the CDs as a pristine backup.

I searched for portable CD players. It is hard to find decent ones new, and they are expensive. Imo carrying around a portable CD player in the year 2012 doesn't make sense. I stopped carrying them around  in 2005.

"...carrying around a portable CD player in the year 2012 doesn't make sense."
And why it doesn't ? I do carry around a portable cd player and many others do too. Very few people have time to listen to something like 5 plus albums during a day. To carry 2 or 3 CDs in a camera bag around the waist, together with D350, an amp and headphones is enough. [ http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/d-350 ].The sound out of a good vintage portable through line out or an optical line out [ and a portable amplifier ] is great. I do not consider mini or maxi pads or pods as an audio source when I want to hear a good sound. 
A bit of a digression to illustrate the point : You might not remember the dumping and trashing of audio medium of vinyl LP and turntables at the onset of the digital era, some 20 years ago. The vinyl and the turntables were seen as dinosaurs being made suddenly extinct by the progress. Now look at what is happening : http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/articles/yesvinylisback.php  Reproduction of a sound wave by 3 formats : http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm 
Inconvenient dinosaurs are back. The same can be said of tube amplifiers, some years back many were dismissing obsolete "bulbs". Our ability to hear is of analog nature, our ears and brain do not hear and process the sound in "bits" and in squarish waves and so the vinyl format will remain an ultimate medium for an audiophile purist. That what is natural cannot became obsolete.
Similarly, that what is convenient in the pads/pods format can become annoying and dispiriting. Picking up a lunch menu of songs from 2 or 3 thousand long list of songs can be tedious because it misses the natural joy of listening to an album, the joy of simply putting an album/CD on a tray, closing the lid of a CD player and pushing a play button. I would bet that in the years to come there will be carefully preserved and cherished vintage portable CD players and new DVD players [ with a headphone line out, an audio line out (analog CD type and/or DVD-A type) an optical digital line out ] serving as portable audio platforms for many of those of the audiophile nation. The vinyl medium and the turntables will outlive those that were ready to bury them. The CD and DVD-A players used as sound portables will outlive the ipodniks and ipadniks of today.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 16
CD's are too big and fragile to carry around, IMO. Not just the scratchability factor, but what if you trip and fall? The CD could snap into pieces. I'd much rather rip them and store the still pristine CD back in its case. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 16
I carried around portable cassette players for over 10 years, portable CD players for around 5 years, and flash memory based mp3 players for 7 years. The portable CD players were actually a step backwards in terms of portability, as the portable tape players I used(except for the very first ones) fit in my shirt pocket, which a portable CD player could not fit in. Even using mp3 CD players and carrying around 5 extra CDs with me, I had only around 37 hours of 256kbps music to choose from. My first flash memory based mp3 player was a Creative n2009 aka Nano Plus). It held just one GB, enough for 9 hours of songs at 256 kbps. It was liberating though, as it easily fit in my shirt pocket. Now I use a Sandisk Clip+ with a 16GB card in it, enough for around 200 CDs of music. There is no way I would want to go back to the bulk of a portable CD player.

When using an mp3 player I also almost always listen to albums, and not choose individual songs. Some of the albums are best of albums though. I like the ability to easily put a few albums on the go list, then they will play straight through without any intervention from me. Other times I choose individual albums to play. I only choose individual songs a very small percentage of the time, and even then only while I am sitting.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 16
I got around 200 CDs. At home, I prefer to use the desktop CD player. When I am going out, mp3 + headphone amp + headphone/earbud. Carrying a Diskman around just too much. I don't think there is much/any sound quality difference.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 16
New to Head-Fi, just registered. But my son started this thread on my behalf.

You know its really funny, not a single person answered the question (what portable cd player has digital outputs)

Instead, we got: why would you possibly want a portable CD player, OMG!

Sansa Clips are so much more yada yada yada ....

mp3's are so much more convienient. (and I really cant hear how crappy they sound compared to the CD anyway...etc. etc)

CD's are SO heavy and so "like" ancient...etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, you get the idea.

And yes...I still want an ancient portable CD player with digital outputs.

Why?....sound quality for one.

I like to read the liner notes while Im listening for two

I like the experience of opening something physical and placing it into a machine for three.

I don't like the sterile experience of the digital donwload for four.

So...the question remains...does anyone know of or have a list of portable CD players
that have any kind of digital output?

Anyone?

Best Regards,

Curt

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 16
Here's a thread I found regarding portable CD player models that support digital out and line out from 2006.

You may of read it already.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/170252/portable-cd-player-w-digital-output

The problem is here there really aren't than many models that supported such a feature, and what did will be hard to find. You can't just rock into a store these days and buy one which you've probably found out already. If however you can sacrifice portability for a full size CD player to keep at work then you have no problems, they're everywhere on ebay/online supporting the feature. I actually recommend using a full size CD player because you will get better sound quality / performance.

I think what you're looking for is simply outdated and taken over by MP3 and FLAC players. That's why the answers this thread received are what they are.

We've all moved on to the future. :tongue_smile:

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 16
Thank you very much for that reply. That was exactly what I was looking for. And no... I had for some reason seen that thread.

Space at work is cramped and also don't want to draw too much attention. Ive looked at half width non portable CD players.

Those are rather expensive, so Ive taken to looking for old portable CD players.

Yeah its going to be a bit of a hunt(but even that part is sort of fun).

But I could not start the hunt without the info of what players had the feature to begin with.

Anyway thanks, that s a great start.

Regards

Curt

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Sorry for the necro post, but I've been looking for this for some time, and finally found something that is very small, and does digital out, though you'd need a box to go from HDMI to optical/coax/whatever you prefer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33NF363ZV5YQY

61XWoGJMHQL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back