portable open headphones -- are they not useless?
Jan 4, 2005 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

emmpeethree

100+ Head-Fier
the first headphone i invested in upon discovering head fi was the portapro.

very pleased, i opted for a grado sr80, then shure e2c, then sony v6 and the latest to arrive is the shure md33.

i have found that every single one of the cans i have purchased has an acceptable use (see my sig) and it seems as i get more, i use the protapros less and less.

i literrally used them less than 3 times in the last 6 months. the last time i used them, it was becasue i was cleaning my room and my family doesn't appreciate it when i turn on the klipsch promedias so loud that i can hear it from upstairs!

portability and isolation come pretty much hand in hand.

at the gym: need isolation for gym noises + gyms crappy music
at home: use speakers or closed headphones when there is noise
on public transit : need isolation
on plane :need isolation
walking down street: need isolation form car noise (however, too much is bad when crossing streets!)

where would the portapro/px100/ksc35 be useful? i sure as hell havent' found a use!

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 10
they seem to work fine for most ppl in those situations

I'm trying to find some portables I can use while biking - open are probably a bit safer, though most cheap portables don't really isolate anyway...

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I find my small portable Koss headphones quite useful for portable use. I tend not to be in a lot of noisy environments, and I often find it useful to hear what is going on around me and hold a conversation if need be with my portable headphones on, neither of which I can do with closed headphones or canalphones in. If my goal is to keep all noise out and isolate myslef fro mthe world then I'll use Ety or Shure canalphones, but most of the times I find myself reaching for my KSC-35's or -75's or Senn MX 500's for portable use.

-Keith

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 10
i use my PX100's quite a bit. often in situations where I don't want to carry around a heavier and more expensive pair of cans, or I don't want total isso from canalphones.

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I use the MX 500 when I bike except I put them in a bit weird. I put them in perpindicular to my ear with the speaker facing forward. Works really well. In fact, you'd be surprised how much bass you get out of em put in that way.

Jan 4, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmpeethree
where would the portapro/px100/ksc35 be useful? i sure as hell havent' found a use!

confused.gif

seems like a symptom of having more phones than needed ??
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Have you not bought your other phones, I'm sure PP will acceptably do their jobs. They're basically intended for portable use to replace standard earphones. Given that there's not that many choice of good closed portable phones, open ones will do, especially for people who can't stand canaling.

Jan 5, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
confused.gif

seems like a symptom of having more phones than needed ??
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

i supposed that's true.

i've found phone that can do a better job at their specific tasks, but cost much more!!!

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 10
I use my KSC75s at work. Previously with my EX51 or MDRV6 my co-workers would have to yell at me to get my attention. I think they were very annoyed by my isolation.
Garrett

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 10
"on public transit : need isolation"

why? I currently use my sennhesier earbuds when I'm out and about, and they hardly isolate anything. I can hear...mmm...the bus engine, vaguely, and maybe just slightly people talking, if they're quite loud. I can hear my music just fine. Isolation might be nice, I guess, but I'd hardly say you NEED it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back