portable music player recommendations
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dencake

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I recently bought my first IEM, the Noble X, and I'm now looking for a music player or DAC/Amp to go with it.
Hopefully it won't be too expensive (I'm looking for upto $300 and under), and also hopefully something that can still be enjoyable when/if I upgrade!
Also, would it be fine to use with the Fiio E10k when I'm home? I heard iems need low output impedance.

On a separate note, I heard that people were pairing up a music player with an amp or an dac/amp (eg. fiio x5 + fiio A5 or AKG 70 with Chord Mojo), and I was quite puzzled, since I thought that the music player themselves contained both, but the Chord Mojo also contains them so is there any extra benefit to using a Chord Mojo with an expensive music player, instead of a cellphone?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 7
FiiO makes good quality players for a good price! I use the X3 2nd gen

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Can wholeheartedly recommend the Shanling M2s DAP, fantastic little player with great sound & features. I'm using mine with the FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier, it lowers the output resistance for my headphones, especially the IEMs but it also really sharpens up the sound, bass especially & really makes the music shine :)

I'm sat here with my DAP playing through my IEMs and controlling the songs I play through my mobile phone via Bluetooth, a great feature of the Shanling M2s :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Hello!

I recently bought my first IEM, the Noble X, and I'm now looking for a music player or DAC/Amp to go with it.
Hopefully it won't be too expensive (I'm looking for upto $300 and under), and also hopefully something that can still be enjoyable when/if I upgrade!
Also, would it be fine to use with the Fiio E10k when I'm home? I heard iems need low output impedance.

On a separate note, I heard that people were pairing up a music player with an amp or an dac/amp (eg. fiio x5 + fiio A5 or AKG 70 with Chord Mojo), and I was quite puzzled, since I thought that the music player themselves contained both, but the Chord Mojo also contains them so is there any extra benefit to using a Chord Mojo with an expensive music player, instead of a cellphone?

Thank you very much!
Not for sure why others use a amp with some players. I do know why some use a Chord Mojo as it will outperform most players from a phone. Some use amps as they want to listen very loud others like the headroom but I can’t say why others do what they do.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 7

Try to see if you can land a Sony Walkman DAP. Solid, clean sound and a sensible, bug-free interface, without any of the annoying foibles of some of the DAPs that are so popular here.

As for why people pair with a DAC/amp - with a phone and some players, it can come in handy, as it provides more power and cleaner sound, which is useful if you have hard to drive headphones. In other cases, I suspect some kind of reflexive response (I cannot think of any other reason one would buy an expensive DAP, pair it with a relatively inexpensive amp that likely has the same circuitry as in the DAP, and then use it to drive IEMs which require next to no power).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back