Portable MQA compatible DACs
Jun 5, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 24
If you stream from Tidal, Tidal uses MQA encoding on their high-res streams. MQA gets decoded in two steps. First step is in software, second in the DAC. While with a non-MQA dac you do get good sound quality, you're not getting the full experience as it's then capped at 24/96. Second step decoding in DAC can take it to 192khz and beyond, giving the full experience.

That's me giving a very very high level summary of how it works. Yeah, USB Audio Player Pro does the first step of MQA which is software decoding, but you still need a MQA compatible DAC for second step.
You can tell the difference from 24 bit 96khz and 192khz with the gear you have?

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 24
?

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 24
You can tell the difference from 24 bit 96khz and 192khz with the gear you have?
No, but just saying in case the lack of the extra step maybe introduces artifacts. But you're right, there probably isn't a noticeable difference.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 24
If you stream from Tidal, Tidal uses MQA encoding on their high-res streams. MQA gets decoded in two steps. First step is in software, second in the DAC. While with a non-MQA dac you do get good sound quality, you're not getting the full experience as it's then capped at 24/96. Second step decoding in DAC can take it to 192khz and beyond, giving the full experience.

That's me giving a very very high level summary of how it works. Yeah, USB Audio Player Pro does the first step of MQA which is software decoding, but you still need a MQA compatible DAC for second step.
there is no audible difference in sound between 96 and 192 when streamed from Tidal MQA streams, thus having MQA h/w decoding on the deice should make no difference.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 24
I use the ifi hip dac with uapp and mqa plug-in on an android phone. Works quite fine. I like the ifi hip dac specially for the xbass button.
Only issue is the uapp integration of tidal. The usability is not as good as the official tidal app, but works without any issues

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 24
So what are some good portable MQA compatible DACs out there?

I know of the iFi Nano DSD Black Label that supports MQA. What else is out there? Ideally one with a separate power/charging port and usb input port.

I had a ordered a Topping NX4, but I received the wrong color (Amazon Warehouse deal), and now don't want to re-order there afraid I'll get the wrong color again (silver). And then I realized, maybe I should look into a MQA compatible DAC.

I love my iFi Hip DAC - worth checking out.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 24
Head-fiers, I'm looking to enter the market of mid-range headphones and a decent paired headphone amp/DAC to fill a gap in Hifi stereo listening. I've come to piece with the fact that a decent stereo and speaker set up is unlikely currently with a young family.

I'm enjoying my Tidal subscription and am gearing my choices to make the most of Tidal HiFi/MQA tracks using my android phone and/or desktop computer.

I've had suggestions including:
Meze 99 classics, Audeze LCD-2/LCD-3, Focal Clear Professional, Hifiman Ananda for headphones and Earmen TR-AMP, iFi iDSD Diablo, Micro or Neo and Chord Mojo for DAC/amp.

I'm curious about the communities thoughts on these options (or any others) in terms of contemporary 'Bang for Buck' at this level as well as the practicalities of getting the best MQA quality from an Android device to headphones through a DAC/Amp (ie. is it simple plug and play??).

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #23 of 24
Head-fiers, I'm looking to enter the market of mid-range headphones and a decent paired headphone amp/DAC to fill a gap in Hifi stereo listening. I've come to piece with the fact that a decent stereo and speaker set up is unlikely currently with a young family.

I'm enjoying my Tidal subscription and am gearing my choices to make the most of Tidal HiFi/MQA tracks using my android phone and/or desktop computer.

I've had suggestions including:
Meze 99 classics, Audeze LCD-2/LCD-3, Focal Clear Professional, Hifiman Ananda for headphones and Earmen TR-AMP, iFi iDSD Diablo, Micro or Neo and Chord Mojo for DAC/amp.

I'm curious about the communities thoughts on these options (or any others) in terms of contemporary 'Bang for Buck' at this level as well as the practicalities of getting the best MQA quality from an Android device to headphones through a DAC/Amp (ie. is it simple plug and play??).
Hi Scotty,

maybe I answer your last question first: for mqa support from an android device you need the UAPP app and the mqa plug-in inside the app (i think both cost around 5€). With the tidal app on android the mqa doens't work. Additonally the chord mojo you mentioned does not support mqa.

But to be honest: I first also always used mqa with android and my ifi hip dac and later ifi micro idsd signature, but now i use an equalizer and then the mqa does not work. So I wouldnt be so focused about mqa in my opinion.

For DACs i can just reference to the ifi hip dac (entry level) and the ifi micro signature (mid-range level). In both cases i really like the product specially the xbass feature. For the headphones you mentioned i would go for micro or diablo. I tried the hip dac with the focal clears, and didnt like it.
A lot of people really love the chord mojo as well, i didnt hear them yet.

For headphone I think its best you check some youtube comparisons, there are a lot in this price range.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #24 of 24
For DACs i can just reference to the ifi hip dac (entry level) and the ifi micro signature (mid-range level). In both cases i really like the product specially the xbass feature. For the headphones you mentioned i would go for micro or diablo.
:beerchug:

Thanks and enjoy your iFi stuff :)

iFi iDSD Diablo, Micro or Neo

Of the three our iFi iDSD Diablo would be the best, and a bit below it is iDSD Signature (it replaced the micro BL). NEO iDSD is a different product meant for desktop use. All three handle MQA no probs :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back