Portable MP3 with a true line-out.
Apr 26, 2004 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

IpsilonSound

100+ Head-Fier
After building my PPA, I started looking to replace my 2-year-old SlimX iMP350, which as you all know doesn't have a true line-out bypassing the internal phone amp. The sound is pretty good, but not as good as compared to a cd or dvd player with a line out.

I like my iRiver, it has solid firmware, decent sound and supports cyrillic fonts, which is important for my music selections. However, despite endless requests from users, iRiver engineers would introduce players with a real line out in the next life only.

Do you know any alternatives to iRiver, cd or hard-based, with a TRUE HIGH QUALITY line out?

This baby seems like a sweet deal, but it doesn't seem to have what i'm looking for: http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_USB2_20gbspec.asp

iPod looks attractive to me, but I'm not sure whether the line out coming from the adapter(needs mod) is a true or not. Besides, it doesn't have cyrillic support.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 10
I use both the ipod dock (at home) and a Sik Imp cable (in car). I believe the ipod does have a true line out but there are other head-fiers that probably better able to answer your question with certainty. The sound of my ipod through the line out and amp is better when compared to using the headphone out.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks, Everyone.

I think, I'll order a DAC board from AOS electronics to install it ensemble with my PPA. Then I would upgrade my iMP-350 with model 550 having an optical output. I haven't tried the optical yet from this one, but people say that it's still affected by equalizer(digital one). That should fix the problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 10
The Nomad Jukebox 3 also has an optical output and 2 real line-outs. I really like mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not sure the SIK amp gives the ipod a true line out. Reason being you can EQ the sound with the cable.

The NJB3, the NJB1, and if I remember correctly the original Archos 6gig jukeboxes had a line out as well.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 10
hey slimm, how come i tried to pm you about 3weeks ago but my pm dectector show that you haven read the pm yet, even though you are online after that. does this having anything to do with OS or internet browser?

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hk29
Slightly offtopic: Does anyone know if the Sony Optical/Analog Line outs on their CDP are "True" Line outs? I have the Sony D-E551?

TIA

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing about my iRiver SlimX 550's Optical Out / Line Out port. What the heck qualifies as a 'true line out port,' anyway? What specs are we looking for, exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back