Portable MP3 Player , what would you recommend ?
Feb 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Trevor spencer

New Head-Fier
Hi ive never owned a portable mp3 player before and was thinking of getting one so i can listen to my music in my bedroom running through a LD++ amp and HD595 headphones, so question is whats a decent player ? obviously IPOD springs to mind but are they the best option ?

Thanks

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 22
I have a Samsung YP-Z5. It sounds very good through a pair of 595s, sometimes via a Xenos 0HA-REP, though the difference is marginal. The sound quality (LAME -V 0 --vbr-new) is excellent, battery life is good, the device is very robust and fairly scratch resistant, gap-less playback with latest firmware, it can be used in UMS (appears as an external disk, drag & drop files) or MTP (I use Media Monkey to sync) modes and the price is now pretty good as well. Disadvantages: proprietary cable, it doesn't come with a mains power supply (but not many do) and it isn't really much good at anything other than playing music. Some people (and many reviewers) have an issue with the user interface which uses a combination of a rocker switch and touch pad, but it doesn't cause me any problems and I quickly got used to it. I like the dedicated volume control on the side of the device.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 22
I love the iPod.

I recommend the iPod.

A lot of people recommend other DAP's based on their merits. I have no problems with any of these folks.

But there are also a lot of people who recommend other DAP's simply because they are not iPods. I have a problem with these folks.

I just thought this should be mentioned. Don't hate the iPod simply because it is successful. It also happens to be a great DAP.

Good luck in your quest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the iPod.

I recommend the iPod.

A lot of people recommend other DAP's based on their merits. I have no problems with any of these folks.

But there are also a lot of people who recommend other DAP's simply because they are not iPods. I have a problem with these folks.

I just thought this should be mentioned. Don't hate the iPod simply because it is successful. It also happens to be a great DAP.

Good luck in your quest.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can agree with those comments.

I think any buyer really needs to spend some time reading reviews(as many as they can find) and consider which features are needed. They all seem to have slightly different advantages. Appearance can be equaly important, this might be the most important factor to non hard core users.

I came into this party late, I used a mini disc player for a while before buying a Zen Vision:M which I chose because of good reviews. Features on the Zen that I thought would be important ended up being not so(FM radio, mic recording). I was also interested in the best screen quality since I thought I'd be using it for pictures and possibly video, again, not so important.

I resisted liking the iPod simply because it was so popular. I hated when people would call any brand player an iPod, of course these people know so much, that's why they're so cool...they have an iPod
evil_smiley.gif

icon10.gif

I think I could be happy with any of the top brands as long as it offers a true line out(good SQ), has enough drive space and is reliable.

I really like the iPod. I have been assimilated.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 22
give me an ipod with integrated FM and I will consider it.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 22
You can get an FM tuner for the iPod. I purchased a 20 GB "photo" only 2 weeks before the new video ones came out. Seeing as I wanted portability of music, I talked myself out of "stewing" over not waiting... gosh, I could have had an extra 10 GB of storage for the same price.

As for the iPod itself, it's clean and simple. No frills to be had.

Good luck on your quest.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 22
From an "audiophile's top features" standpoint the iPod is excellent. It has the two (IMO) most important and also rarest features, gapless playback and a solid line-out. Great price/storage ratio for the 80gb as well. I believe the only other player to match this was the iRiver iHP series and a few obscure Sony ATRAC players.

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor spencer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ive never owned a portable mp3 player before and was thinking of getting one so i can listen to my music in my bedroom running through a LD++ amp and HD595 headphones, so question is whats a decent player ? obviously IPOD springs to mind but are they the best option ?

Thanks

A couple things that would help to know..

What’s your budget?
Are you looking for a flash based player or hard drive?
How much storage do you need?
What type of media files MP3, OGG, FLAC etc.?

Personally, I give the iPods very high marks for the navigation wheel interface. The click wheels may be the best navigation tool out there. As for sound, I don't care for the Apple sound. I'm talking headphone out to whatever.

IMO Apple and Creative are as you say "decent players" but fall short of VibeZ sound quality and user interface software. I would go so far as to say that I believe the headphone out on the VibeZ will sound as good as a line out on most other DAPs. I regulary use mine headphone out -> Pimeta -> HD600 or HF-1.

So while you're looking, consider the 12gb VibeZ for HD based and high sound quality around the $200 mark. IMHO its sound is superior to the other DAPS in its price range. It also has some of the best user software of any player. Very nice equalizer, plays a wide variety of file types, gapless, cross fade and the DJ feature set is really nice.

Just another opinion
wink.gif

Good Luck!

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigDu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From somebody who has much less experience with DAPs than you guys and hasn't really posted here in several years, let me share my limited experiences:

I've had an H-120 for over 3 years now. The only reason I got it back then was because it basically had every possible feature out there when compared to the iPod of the day: great battery life, FM tuner, recording, line out, line in, very solid build quality, inline remote, and great SQ. I thought that over time other players would start to integrate all these features. Surprisingly, here in 2007, there are still very few players out there that offer all this right out of the box. And since I've added RockBox, needless to say the iRiver has only gotten better. It's served me faithfully for over 3 years with NO issues whatsoever. I've accidentally dropped it two or three times and subjected it to extreme heat and cold, and it still works like the day I bought it.

Now this past Christmas I decided I wanted to try something new, but I haven't had much time to research lately, so what little time I did spend resulted in the purchase of a 30GB Zen Vision M. Let's just say that I've been less than impressed as I've tried to cope with this thing for the past 1.5 months and convince myself to keep it. I honestly think that compared to my iHP-120, the ONLY thing the creative has going for it is an extra 10GB and a beautiful screen. Aside from that, the iRiver mops the floor with the Creative in every respect (IMHO).

The size differences are negligible; while the iRiver is slightly longer and a tad thicker, the Creative is wider and seems every bit as heavy. Both are large players compared to iPods and that's all there is to it. Startup time with the Creative (after not listening to it for more than a few hours) is ridiculous, it's definitely at or over 30 seconds. Startup time with Rockbox on the iRiver is probably about 4 seconds. Both feel solid, but the Creative has the soft plastic on the front which is very prone to scratching. Neither is terribly attractive, and I never thought I'd find myself enjoying the iRiver's appearance, but the Creative is just so ugly. The iRiver gets at least 3-4 hours better battery life under typical listening. The iRiver has the line in and out and does not require the proprietary connector for anything. I personally think the iRiver has much easier navigation; really who needs a touchpad surface on these things? Both players have slowish navigation, but I still think the iRiver is a bit faster. The iRiver still does everything the Creative does plus more. The only thing the Creative does is movies, and I couldn't care less about movies on an mp3 player; that's what laptops are for.

Most importantly, the Creative, though it has some clarity, has ZERO bass. I listen to mostly 70s, 90s, and some modern rock, and this thing is weak as hell in that department. I've tried playing with the graphic EQ, but all I get is distortion, and the built-in bass boost sucks too.

So here I am, sitting with both players on my desk in front of me, and my UM1s are plugged into the iRiver. The SQ on this thing has really impressed me, especially with RockBox. And the fact that it continues to impress me over a device with 3 years more technology says a lot about iRiver. I think I just convinced myself to sell the Creative...

But of course this leaves me right back where I started. I could just keep the iRiver and be happy, but unfortunately I like change and need a new toy every now and then. I really like the Zune. I like how they didn't feel a need to use a touchpad for navi, I like the build quality (at least it feels solid), and I hear it has good SQ. But again, it doesn't have all the little toys that my iHP-120 still has, like recording, remote, and great battery life. I like the look and smooth operation of the iPod, and of course the immense aftermarket support is nice, but like others I can't help being cautious about iPod's quality.

Either way, when I researched the Creative, I saw all kinds of great reviews about its SQ. After hearing it myself, this leads to me to conclude that these reviewers had never heard an iHP-120. They probably had used iPods before, though. So does that mean the iPod SQ is worse than the zen vision m SQ and therefore much worse than the iHP SQ? And what about the Zune, how does it compare to the iRiver's depth and strong low-end (at least compared to a zen vision m)?

Ultimately, I will not get rid of my iRiver unless I know the player I replace it with is going to have equal or better SQ. I would be willing to sacrifice a few toys if this criterion is met though. I guess I could live with the Zune's 12 hr battery life and lack of recording so long as it has great SQ. Same with the iPod.

Such a tough decision. The real shame is that iRiver doesn't make a player for me anymore...

Interesting post. I will agree that I've heard that the Creative Zen series only has average sound quality.

But have any of you guys compared the your iRivers to the Creative Jukebox 3? I have had one for almost 5 years now and I simply am too scared to part with it. The SQ is fantastic and although it's big and bulky, the navigation and GUI is nothing short of superb!

Honestly, I want to try out another brand, because I'm running out of space. But can anyone here recommend an mp3 player with BETER sound AND features than the Creative Jukebox 3?

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 22
I would recommend Cowon iAudio X5L. Below are reasons why I recommend this player to you

1) Excellent SQ
2) Drag and Drop files
3) Digital processing features like EQ, BBE, M3Bass
4) FM Radio
5) Voice recording and FM recording
6) Versatile in file format support
7) Battery life is superior to other DAPs

The above points cover all my expectations, so I bought it in 2005. There are some minus points of X5, which I least cared about. They are

1) Heavier than iPod
2) Look and feel of color screen
3) Joystick for navigation
4) Poor line-out (since X5's headphone out is superb, I'm not using any amp. So quality of line-out doesn't really bother me)
5) Video quality (my intention was to use X5 only for music playback)

If any of your main preference for DAP falls under the minus points list, then you consider something else other than X5.

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 22
I love my iRiver ihp120, only wish i got a 140 instead now for the extra capacity, but I bought it for the versability and multible formats that it supports, the recording features, and the line/optical output. Now for uber portability, I just picked up a 2g nano 8gb and it's awesome. I only copy 192kbps mp3s to it, but for the ultimate portability, (besides the new shuffle, but it doesnt have a color screen) the nano is hard to beat.
cool.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From an "audiophile's top features" standpoint the iPod is excellent. It has the two (IMO) most important and also rarest features, gapless playback and a solid line-out. Great price/storage ratio for the 80gb as well. I believe the only other player to match this was the iRiver iHP series and a few obscure Sony ATRAC players.

Correct me if Im wrong...but I thought that iPod didnt have TRUE gapless. It only played gapless with iTunes encoded files or something like that

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 22
^ Cha, you are so wrong.
wink.gif

With the lastest update, all 5G and 5.5G iPods can do true gapless.

Almost all iPods can do gapless with Rockbox, however. That means way less battery life though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back