portable MP3 player: seeking replacement according to these aspects
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tristan4

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audio/music enthusiasts,

From March 2008 'til ~ 2 months ago I had a great, portable, touchscreen Cowon multimedia player (the desirable D2, the original one not the D2+ that came out later which was the one not favored by people) but it fell to the ground or floor causing a tiny bit of the electronics to break off the circuit board-- this is the now detached part that lets me press a button to change the sound volume. I'm looking for a replacement that produces tip-top sound quality since I listen to classical music mp3s. I don't want to spend the money for the really high-end mp3 players, the ones costing ~ $700+ but I don't know how mediocre or superb the sound output is in the much less costly mp3 players, the ones ~ $150 and far lower.

Here are some of my criteria then:

- ~ $150 or less

- ---> excellent, tip-top sound quality (for classical music) <---

- FM radio a plus

- touchscreen or not

- if in my price range thinking: ~ 15+ hours of constant music playing from charge in battery

- 3.5 mm jack port for headphones

- durable

- the kind of device that can be slipped into a pocket, not the kind only worn on the head

- ---> for mp3 file loading/deleting: device works nicely with Linux (I use MX Linux, a Debian-based distro), the sole OS I use and rely on in my desktop tower and in my laptop [I have no MS Windows nor Apple computer.]

- not interested in any Apple product

- slot for SD card (or maybe some other kind) to hold more mp3 files

Thanks for your attention to this posting

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Sony A55. With a MR Walkman midnight V2 firmware mod. The mod is easy to apply and can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...are-non-android.943661/page-364#post-16542005

The stock firmware is meh. But quite a few folks who have it says it can hit almost 70% sound quality of the higher end sony DAPs (after the mod is applied).

The A55 only has 3.5 mm output but the sound quality is really excellent. Warm and smooth without harshness, yet nice soundstage and details and layering.

It has BT and around 20+ hours battery life, though it cannot power too high demanding planar type cans. I bought mine first hand at $150 usd or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back