Portable MP3 Player... Nationite vs Hifiman vs Cowon... Need help!
Jan 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ACmusic

New Head-Fier
I have heard that if I am looking for an audiophile type player, then look no further than Nationite, Hifiman and Cowon. But with so many to choose from I am getting overwhelmed at which would be best.

I listen to music in both a quiet setting as well as at the gym and am looking for the best player to suit my needs within a reasonable budget $100-$350.

I currently own a pair of "Grado 325is" for at home listening and a pair of "Klipsch Image S4 earphones" for the gym.

So my dilemma is really, what player will give me the best sound, but also gives me the luxury of taking it to the gym. UI is not a big concern for me nor is other type of media play.

All in all I need some help! :)

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I have read that the 601 is quite a nice sounding player, but at 200g it isn't exactly something you would want to be lugging around in your pocket at the gym. The J3 isn't really featherweight either, but at 76g it's a world apart and definitely a lot more convenient. J3 would be the obvious choice for me between the two (Not too keen on the Sflo2 build and sound).

To be honest, if you want a good sounding player for the gym and don't care about UI and file formats, I would recommend a look at Sansa Clip+ or one of the Sony options - Sony NWZ-A846 / Sony NWZ-E455. They are good at what they do without much fuss.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd get the Cowon J3. I have the 601 and the J3 but the J3 is much more convenient for gym use as it is lighter, smaller, dedicated buttons for your song management without turning on the screen and much better battery so don't have to worry about charging.

Also if you intend on using a Klispch S4 I wouldn't bother with the 601. They need much better earphones than the S4.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 7
After much thought and everyone's comments on both the head-fi and abi forums, I have gone ahead and bought the Cowon J3! I simply cannot wait for it to come in!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions definitely made my decision easier. Most of all I can't wait to hear it on my Grado 325is
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back