portable mosfet amp?
Jan 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 26
there are some DIY designs available, but you will have to build it yourself. check DIYAUDIO if you are that way inclined. there will be a lisa III mini available soon too

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 26
well, the price of the lisa III mini won't be something i will be inclined on sadly.

i was too thinking of building a portable mosfet amp as well earlier today.
i compared my noob-ish audio set up (DiyMOD > IBASSO P3 > SRH840) to my father's hi-fi system and well, i shouldn't have done that.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 26
discrete MOSFET?

It's usually harder because they need to be biased quite high to achieve linearity.

tongue.gif
, go with FETs.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 26
ok, well I would check out sjorstromaudio.com as well, he has some great discrete SMD headamps that could fairly easily be adapter to battery power. i'm using some of his small discrete diamond buffers in the buffer position of my FiQuest. similar to sijosae's design but smaller and slightly more sophisicated

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 26
ah yeah sorry bout the typo, in fact the OP could build up some of his SSB01 SMD diamond buffers and provided he has enough current (-/+6v minimum) he can use this as a drop in replacement for BUF634 as I have in the FiQuest. theres some really great stuff there. the QRV08 is high on my list. higher than the B22, best thing about many of his designs is they already have pretty awesome tweaked power supplies and o0ver the top regulation on the PCB

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 26
hmm, well I think if you are organized its really not that hard, but perhaps not for a total noob. all thats needed is patience and a soldering iron with a fine tip

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah yeah sorry bout the typo, in fact the OP could build up some of his SSB01 SMD diamond buffers and provided he has enough current (-/+6v minimum) he can use this as a drop in replacement for BUF634 as I have in the FiQuest. theres some really great stuff there. the QRV08 is high on my list. higher than the B22, best thing about many of his designs is they already have pretty awesome tweaked power supplies and o0ver the top regulation on the PCB

wow, thanks for putting the link to that site, ive never seen reference to his designs outside of this thread. you think the QRV08 is better than the QRV01?

Edit: the slew rate is much better on the 8 but the noise is higher, and the gain is lower on the 08 which i like...

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 26
yeah I do think its better, if only for the power supply, but as with you the low gain is very appealing as i'll be mostly driving JH13 balanced (i'm building 2). hes a member here as well, Peranders. but you really dont see the designs mentioned at all, which is odd considering how advanced they are. perhaps its this false impression on here that all SMD parts must be crap, when actually with a well designed PCB and quality parts, much better performance can be gained with SMD because of the much shorter signal paths.

I know what you mean though, the QRV01 looks sweet too, as does the 3 and 7. his gainclone is insane!! I'm running some of his 'jung' regulators too (SSR01/02), very good performance, so quiet. plus the PCBs are all really cool looking too
wink.gif
which is a bonus

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I do think its better, if only for the power supply, but as with you the low gain is very appealing as i'll be mostly driving JH13 balanced (i'm building 2). hes a member here as well, Peranders. but you really dont see the designs mentioned at all, which is odd considering how advanced they are. perhaps its this false impression on here that all SMD parts must be crap, when actually with a well designed PCB and quality parts, much better performance can be gained with SMD because of the much shorter signal paths.

I know what you mean though, the QRV01 looks sweet too, as does the 3 and 7. his gainclone is insane!! I'm running some of his 'jung' regulators too (SSR01/02), very good performance, so quiet. plus the PCBs are all really cool looking too
wink.gif
which is a bonus

thats exactly what i was thinking about driving with is, my new jh-13s, im still trying to decide on a desktop amp for them. though i think i would rather have unity gain for them...how much are you spending total to build each one?

the slew rate and more advanced power supply are really enticing, do you know why the SNR is lower on the 08?

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 26
eh i was hoping for just a mere entry lvl priced finished product. like a simple cmoy variation or something. since i'm only using my portable setup when im walking the dog at the park.... xP. may i just reshoot my question for an entry priced amp thats 'tubey' sounding and not a diy kit? thanks again, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back