portable monitoring
Jun 4, 2002 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jyee

New Head-Fier
so here's my situation: i've got a portable MD recorder and a DVcam that i'd like to get a set of headphones for (i'm poor so they'll share). i'm thinking i'll need some full sized circumaural, sealed cans to block out sound so i can hear what the MD/DV is hearing.

so far, i'm looking at the Koss UR20's and the Senn 280 pros... i know they're in two very different price classes (but as i mentioned i'm poor, so the Koss's are looking quite attractive).

Anyone have any experience with this? how much sound do each of these block? Any suggestions for other headphones?

Jun 4, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 10
id say go with the hd280 or sony v6.

the hd280's are said to have more detail sound wise, but also seem to be more musical, i dont kno if this will help or hamper u when it comes to the monitoring.

i have the v6's and i can say that they are rather analytical, they isolate well enuff, altho not as much as id like they do a decent job (if u were to talk to me from 10 ft away at normal volume i wuldnt usually hear u thru the headfones). with some musics i hve its very easy to hear the "lines" in stepping from a more bass intensive section to treble, the v6's are about $20 cheaper too

one of my friends has the UR20, i dont kno what they're like, but if ud like i can try to get a hold of them for a small listening session?

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by NeoPoe
id say go with the hd280 or sony v6.

the hd280's are said to have more detail sound wise, but also seem to be more musical, i dont kno if this will help or hamper u when it comes to the monitoring.

Hmmm... I'm still trying to audition the HD 280, but I would find it hard to believe that they have more detail than the V6/7506, since the latter are almost too detailed and analytical.

Jun 5, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 10
my definition of detail tends to vary from time to time, hard as it is to believe
confused.gif

the main pt. i was trying to make w/ that post however was wether he wanted some more analytical or something a little more musical when it came to monitoring? i suppose the first choice wuld ideal, but well, u never kno

Jun 5, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 10
well, i'm not sure what you really mean by musical v. analytical. i'll be using the MD setup to record rock and jazz gigs... so i guess the more musical sound would help. is the musical/analytical sound difference between the v6 and the hd280 very prominent?

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 10
thanks for all your help! i just bought the v6's. i'm an impulse buyer - saw a good price and couldnt resist.

i also found an interesting post in another thread which said "if youre on this board long enough, you'll eventually get some v6's... if only to compare it with other cans."

anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Jun 27, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 10
so, the sony's never came in... i called the place and they told me they were on backorder and wouldnt come for another 2 weeks... which wouldve meant about 1 month since i ordered them.

so i started looking and found the senn hd280's for cheap ($82 w/ free shipping). i got them yesterday... and DAMN! i'm hearing stuff that i've never heard before. i'm so blown away.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 10
I would suggest that you get Beyerdynamic DT250-80. They are simply fantasic. I auditioned them before buying one a week ago. When compared to the senn 590, it wins the senn right out from the box. The sound seems has alot of midrange and bass. The senn seems to be a bit flat.. though beyer has a bit darker sound, when compared to the senn hd280pro, I would say the senn is brighter and perhaps more analytical but it would give you fatiquing when listening for a long time(at least for me)

Get the dt250-80! They are worth every penny! I have broken mine in for abt 5 days playing them (total abt 40 over hrs) and the bass is fantasic and loud enough at even 22/40 volume on my portable cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back