Portable line out solutions for the Nano
Oct 22, 2005 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fearsome

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering which line out options there are for the Nano. I'm not interested in the dock, but rather something that can be used for a portable Nano/amplifier combo. All I've found is the Sik ram din. Are there any others?

Cheers,

Field Commander Cohen

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 14
I have a sik ram din, and it works as a line-out with any iPod dock connector. The Firewire cable is quite handy for charging, but you can remove it (permanently) if you don't want to use it. I remember reading that the PocketDock sits in the dock connector, but doesn't actually grip it like regular dock accessories (the ram din does), but I'm not sure if that's true.

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
I remember reading that the PocketDock sits in the dock connector, but doesn't actually grip it like regular dock accessories (the ram din does), but I'm not sure if that's true.

The other problem with the Pocketdock is that it does not all cases employin a cutout for the Dock Connetor, so you will have to take that into consideration. Its prime advantage over the Sik is that it does not use any cable, but that's about it. I chose the din for me (there was no ram at the time, I should pick one up).

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by anearfull
You might want to contact Turbo. He makes a DIY connector that's top-notch.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=turbo

I've had mine a week now and I prefer it to the PocketDock. It's smaller and the internals are optimized for cleanest signal.

Peter

Could you post a pic of it next to the pocketdock? How much smaller is it? I just may have to get in touch with Turbo, sounds like a nice upgrade.

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

You might want to contact Turbo. He makes a DIY connector that's top-notch.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=turbo

I've had mine a week now and I prefer it to the PocketDock. It's smaller and the internals are optimized for cleanest signal.

Peter

Darn, the system never told me about TURBO's reply to my inquiry. Just dropped him a line, I want to compare it to my din.

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Turbo's making me a cable to go with his connector:
http://home.comcast.net/~emieses/customer1.jpg

I've ordered a 60Gig 5G iPod and will try using it with Turbo's cable and connector as source for my main rig. I read somewhere (6-moons I think) that the iPod can do a surprisingly good imitation of a mid-level CD player.

I'll try to find a camera and post a photo of the connector. It’s significantly smaller than the PocketDock … there's no USB port so I'd say it's nearly half the volume.

Turbo: if you're out there, feel free to post a photo
icon10.gif

Peter

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

FYI:
I measured the PocketDock and "TurboDock" with a caliper.

PocketDock:
1" X 1.25" X 0.52" volume = 0.65 cubic inch

TurboDock:
0.9" X 1.0" X 0.38" volume = 0.34 cubic inch

Thank you much!! The TurboDock sounds exactly what I am looking for. Now I just need to wait until they are available....
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

You better hurry: Steve Jobs and his band of lawyers are probaly hunting Turbo down for unauthorized use of their dataport
icon10.gif

although this is said in jest, i started thinking about it and don't think that's too far off the mark! i think apple charges ipod accessory vendors a few percent to be an apple ipod authorized vendor...and they want to make it 10%.

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 14
The Sik Din is a Firewire connector, which is not that ideal in case of the Nano, or 5G since they sync using USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back