Portable + Isolation + Quality Sound?
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DJRSP

Head-Fier
Is there a headphone which mimics a somewhat balanced sound with still some defining bass like the ATH-M50, but also Isolates like you have on HD25? But can be packed away in a footprint similar to the VMODA XS?

I am looking for the optimal travel companion headphone which is passive noise cancelling. I have a good selection of headphones for in home use and when I DJ, but am looking for a road warrior.

Budgeted for $350 or less, and on ear/over ear, no preference. 

Appreciate your suggestion! 

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm thinking you're gonna want to take the IEM path if you want qualities like that in one package. The Shure SE215 comes to mind. It's got bass, isolation better than most over-ear and on-ear headphones, and a solid build with detachable cables in case the cable breaks at some point (which happens to be the first point of failure in both headphones and IEMs).

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 6
  I'm thinking you're gonna want to take the IEM path if you want qualities like that in one package. The Shure SE215 comes to mind. It's got bass, isolation better than most over-ear and on-ear headphones, and a solid build with detachable cables in case the cable breaks at some point (which happens to be the first point of failure in both headphones and IEMs).

While I thoroughly enjoy an IEM while travelling, especially when putting some Comply tips on the pairs I have, there is something nice about the full sound provided by an over ear/on ear pair.

For that reason I didn't want to include IEM's in this particular discussion, but I will look into the SE215s. They are priced rather competitively which makes them attractive.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 6

While I thoroughly enjoy an IEM while travelling, especially when putting some Comply tips on the pairs I have, there is something nice about the full sound provided by an over ear/on ear pair.

For that reason I didn't want to include IEM's in this particular discussion, but I will look into the SE215s. They are priced rather competitively which makes them attractive.

To be honest, the SE215 isn't really "competitively" priced -- in fact, they're right around the price range where they should be, in my opinion. Some of Shure's higher-end IEMs don't have the bass you're looking for, but do have improved durability and better sound than the entry-level SE215.

The RHA T10i might also suit your preferences, since you're looking for a bassy but balanced pair. It doesn't have a removable cable, but it has a great cable and overall build nonetheless. It also happens to look pretty amazing, as well. 

Why I'm recommending IEMs to you instead of headphones are because of my rather limited experience of them compared to IEMs, and also because I prefer IEMs over headphones because headphones often cause discomfort due to heat (which, in my area, is quite prevalent). If I were to recommend a headphone, I would probably suggest the Beyerdynamic DT1350. No, I haven't heard the headphone before, so I cannot make any judgements on sound, but what I can tell you is that they have a pretty great build and should hold up to the purpose you're using them for.

But now that you mention it, why don't you instead use the HD25? It has a more rugged build than the DT1350 and has the isolation you need. Also, they should be able to be stuffed in a bag.  I hope you could elaborate on the specific purpose you're using them for so I could make better recommendations.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 6
well they would be for travel. The case I have for the HD25 is large, and not very portable. Those headphones do not fold flat so lets just say they aren't what I consider portable. 

So outside of IEM's and HD25, does the VMODA XS offer enough isolation to drown outside noise/babys crying/ etc while sitting on a plane?  They appear to be an extremely portable set of On Ears so if they offer good isolation, I would be inclined to say they cover all my bases.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 6
anyone got some input?
i know there are some road warriors here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back