Portable in ear solution?
Apr 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

WildStyle-R11

500+ Head-Fier
I been trying to a bit portable, trying to look for that pair of headphones or in ear monitors or whatever.

Tried going out with ATH-PRO700MK2, Yeah...HOT. Not to mention you can suffocate while having them down on your neck. :D

I will stick with Small in ear I think. I like the way AKG Q701's sound - the lack of bass, I stumbled upon AKG-K311 So the question is any good? Or something better around? You know around sub £150 mark I would say or better sub £100 mark. :D

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 13
  The HiFiMan RE-400 is fairly neutral and it lacks the deeper bass. It's an excellent allrounder and I prefer it's sound to any of the sub-£150 in-ears I have heard.

Hmm Sounds good(uhh no pun inteded? :D). The way I meant to say it, is I like how Q701's sound like except the lack of bass, but I'm alright as long as my sound is clean.

Now trough...To use my Nokia 808 that I never take with me or use a dedicated portable player hmm... :D

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 13

Hmm Sounds good(uhh no pun inteded? :D). The way I meant to say it, is I like how Q701's sound like except the lack of bass, but I'm alright as long as my sound is clean.

Now trough...To use my Nokia 808 that I never take with me or use a dedicated portable player hmm... :D

It depends: do you want to have an excuse to take your phone with you? Then don't use a dedicated DAP. Do you want better sound? Go with the DAP!

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Most mobile phones don't have a good DAC chip. However, the most significant difference is in the earphones you buy. I can clearly hear the difference between my Fiio X1 and my mobile phone, but when there is a lot of ambient noise, the difference is not as significant. If you use your IEMs in low noise environments too, a dedicated DAP will be an improvement worth considering.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 13
Do you have a place where you can audition portable players? If you don't and if your budget is tight, my recommendation would be the Fiio X1 ($99). It has a good UI, it has very good sound for it's price and it can play all well known audio formats. It has no internal memory so you need a micro-SD card for it.

I think that the Fiio X1 is worth the investment for you because whatever headphone you might want to upgrade to, the X1 will be able to drive it well. It might have difficulties with an Audeze, but I guess you won't be buying one of those any time soon. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Do you have a place where you can audition portable players? If you don't and if your budget is tight, my recommendation would be the Fiio X1 ($99). It has a good UI, it has very good sound for it's price and it can play all well known audio formats. It has no internal memory so you need a micro-SD card for it.

I think that the Fiio X1 is worth the investment for you because whatever headphone you might want to upgrade to, the X1 will be able to drive it well. It might have difficulties with an Audeze, but I guess you won't be buying one of those any time soon. 

+1

For ~ $100, this is a very good DAP. Not going to drive the Q701s that you tried, but it will work with a wide range of headphones and pretty much any IEM you can throw at it. And it will be better than your phone :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Q701's are actually my main headphones, Plugged into Essence one.

I wish I had a place where I could test audio stuff...

As much as I like my Q701's I'm allways lurking around for something better, not like I can't afford it, but that I don't want to buy it and not like it.
We all dream of audeze don't we? :D

Fiio it is then, pretty sure I have couple of SD cards lying around. I never buy a full USB stick I buy SD cards and use adapters. :D

Thanks for your help guys!

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 13
For ~ $100, this is a very good DAP. Not going to drive the Q701s that you tried, but it will work with a wide range of headphones and pretty much any IEM you can throw at it. And it will be better than your phone
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually connected my X1 directly to my Beyerdynamic T1 (600 ohms; 102 dB SPL/V) and even though I can say it doesn't drive the T1 to it's full potential, the listening experience was very pleasant nonetheless. The X1 might not drive the Q701 (62 ohms; 105 dB SPL/V) to it's full potential, but I think it will still sound quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back