Portable IEM Amp for $100 to $200
Jan 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for suggestions for a portable Amp for my Shure SE530's that cost between $100 and $200 dollars.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome ibis99,
Well, the Total Arihead and Bithead are both right in your price range. I use the Total Airhead with my SE530s and am impressed by the results. The amp brings out those last little bits of detail and tames the bass response from a muddy splat to the note you know it is. Combine this with Headrooms gigabag and a interconnect and your good to go. I also find with something as revealing as the 530s or my E4Cs, that lossless bit rates will be easily differentiated from lower 128,256, or even 320 kbps. The biggest difference I have heard with this amp however was with a pair of Grado SR80s and the Shure 110-220. The lower end shure 110s, which to my ears are, well, yucky, suddenly become listenable and take on a fair ammount of detail. Do some more research on your own, as there are a lot of amps in this price range, but just remember Headrooms 30 day money back policy, makes trying a product and finding what you like easy. Plus this is the best place to find people who love to help you find what you like because its their passion as well.
Kevin

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 5
How would the HR AH stack up against say a RS Tomahawk. I know there is quite a price difference, but would there be a noticeable SQ difference?

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 5
From everything I have read, yes. The RSA Tomahawk would be a better sounding portable amp, being its designed for IEMs. One thing to remember though is the Headroom crossfeed. While its effects are subtle, if you listen to your IEM for more than an hour with out it, fatigue is horrible. But with the crossfeed I can listen to my IEMs with no fatigue for hours on end. The Bithead, with its DAC is another feature the Tomahawk dose not have. Plus as you said, it is out of your original budget. Which ever way you go I promise you, you will not be disappointed.
Kevin

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 5
I've got a Total Bithead and a CMOY. The Bithead normally stays hooked up to my laptop at home, and I use the CMOY for commuting, etc. I just recently upgraded my IEMs to a Super.Fi 4, which are pretty detailed compared to others I have heard. Straight out of my Classic they were kind of clinical, and did not sound all that great with the CMOY via a LOD. I tried them with the Bithead and WOW! So the Bithead is now my laptop *and* portable amp.

My understanding is the Airhead is the same amp as the Bithead, minus the DAC and USB connection so if you don't need those you can go with the less costly Airhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back