Portable Headset for a Phone, should I upgrade?
Jul 7, 2011 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Hellhog

New Head-Fier
So for the last year, I've been using a $10 pair of iFrogz (in ear headphones) from Wal-Mart on my Zune 8GB ever since the stock headphones broke. I fell in love with the simple set since I was transitioning from earbuds to earcanal headphones so the music/podcasts seemed to have a much better presence and canceled out ambient noises.

Well, I recently got a Windows Phone 7 and the stock headset are earbuds so I went back to Wal-Mart (only because I work there right now) and picked up to my surprise the same iFrogz for $18 but now including a mic (so TRRS jack instead of TRS). Again, I enjoy these very much.

The only thing is, I don't know if I am missing out on quality. Typically, I only listen to my podcasts not my music on these devices and I could careless about audio quality on a 32-64kpbs MP3. However, even though I rip my music to my laptop in WMA Lossless format, I have my Zune Software convert the WMA Lossless into a 192kbps WMA file in order to be able to fit my whole collection on my Zune and Phone.

My question is am I missing out by using cheap headphones/headset on these devices when the bit rate is only 192kbps WMA? I'm assuming not, but then again, I've never tried anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back