Portable headphones with velour pads
Aug 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

qu4ntumrush

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am in need of new headphones because my favorite portables, the Koss KSC75, has finally flat-out broke - they have no sound in the right piece. RIP. My requirements are:

1. Flat velour pads only! I detest pleather pads because they warm my ears immediately and they aren't even that comfortable regardless of the sweat they produce. I demand no less than a 9/10 on the comfort scale.

2. Portable-sized cord! They must be all-purpose - home, walking, lunch, school hallways, etc. If a cord is the only problem, give me tips on how to shorten it.

3. I don't know what kind of sound I want. I guess neutral but not bass-free. I listen to rock, metal, EDM, ambient, downtempo, and classical.

4. Good build quality! The #1 I hated about the Koss's was that they would sound tinny and vibrate when hairs and dust got inside. Also I have had 2 PX100s (which you will probably like to recommend) that had their plugs break off the cord due to pets and other unexpected tugs (which could happen a lot in a backpack).

5. Price: ideally around $50, but if long-term life expectancy was desired, I could stretch it to $75.

I found 2 more obscure models on Amazon, are they worth it or not?

1. Sony MDR-ZX600
2. JVC HAS600B

Recommendations? I need them soon so availability on Amazon Prime is crucial.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 5
JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for under $60.
The HA-S500 uses Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragm, the HA-S600 & MDR- ZX600 do not.
The HA-S500 can use the same Velour ear pads ($14, eBay ) as the Audio Technical ATH ESW9 headphones.
So HA-S500 ($56) and Velour ear pads ($14), total around $70.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 5
I already owned the HAS400B (same design) but it broke. I might be able to fix them. Will the velour pads work? I'm also considering the Beyer DT235.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I already owned the HAS400B (same design) but it broke. I might be able to fix them. Will the velour pads work? I'm also considering the Beyer DT235.

I believe (guess) the S400 & S500 use the same size ear pads.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
I ordered the earpieces and "fixed" the S400s (one side can't fold but it fits my head). I don't remember the headband being uncomfortable; it bothers me more than the pleather. Setting them directly on top of my head (I like to have most headbands face forward a little) helps a little, but these headphones clearly aren't meant for big heads. Are the Beyers big-head-friendly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back