portable headphones vs earphones?
Aug 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HelmutKohl

New Head-Fier
I'm new at this, but looking for something under $50 for my mp3 player, laptop and DS and using for constant travel.
are good earphones as good as portable headphones?

here are some I'm looking at

Sennheiser PX100 (collapsable headphone)
KOSS KSC75 (has no frame, just an over the ear part)

or

Harman JBL Reference 220 (earphone) thats supposedly as good as a more expensive Shure

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the reply! infact being the only reply
frown.gif

do you think earbuds can't match the quality of sound made by these portable headphones?

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HelmutKohl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the reply! infact being the only reply
frown.gif

do you think earbuds can't match the quality of sound made by these portable headphones?

Earphones vs. cans is kinda like laptops vs. PC's; you pay extra for the technology that packs all that sound into such a small space. Hence, at least by my findings, earphones don't offer the same SQ dollar for dollar vs. cans.

If you need the isolation provided by earphones, there's no substitute. But if not, I think you'll prefer the SQ of cans vs. earphones at your price point.

Oh, and the response from kschles is about the only reply you'll need regarding good cans for that much money, although I would add to that the iGrado or, if you're willing to stretch and extra $20 for the equipment investment, the Grado SR-60s, which are the gateway drug to the high-end headphone audio experience.
icon10.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 7
If they are for travel, then I would say that you might want to look more closely at IEM's, purely for the extra isolation. I haven't seen anything about the JBL model you mention, but the sennheiser cx300 is a great model within your pricerange that has a bit of isolation for when you're on the go. Maybe get that and the KSC75, should still come in under-budget if you shop around...

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Well earphones CAN still give great sound quality. For example, the Yuin PK1 which sound as good as many high-end headphones with the proper amping, or the PK2 if you don't plan on amping.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I ended up getting some Sennheiser MX 70's because I saw it at a local music store.

to be honest, the chord is kinda too short and the bass wasn't what I'd thought it would be, but I'll guess I'll just stick to them
basshead.gif

thanks everyone for your help

-Herr Kohl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back