Portable headphones under $30...
Mar 20, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

WillD

Head-Fier
I've looked through the forum here, but I would like some recommendations from you all.

My requirements:

Under $30.
No earbuds.
Fairly comfortble.
I prefer a neutral sound, not too bass or high heavy.

Thanks.

Edit: Just FYI..I have some ATH-500s that I love. I don't know if that helps out at all.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 25
You'll get lots of Koss ksc-75 recos. Also check Ebay for Senn PX series.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah, KSC-75 will likely be the verdict here. I bought a pair of KSC-50's for a friend. They sound great, they use the same drivers as the 75's - but they have the dumbest clip design I've ever seen. Don't bother with the 50's, grab 75's.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 25
You may be able to find them at a local shop like Target, CompUSA, or Best Buy. Amazon carries them for $15, too.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
You may be able to find them at a local shop like Target, CompUSA, or Best Buy. Amazon carries them for $15, too.

compusa has them. target and best buy dont...well, at least hte ones by me dont

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 25
What are you talking about?! Those are legendary around here.

sarcasm.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillD
Just ordered them off of Amazon. Should be a big step up from these .

Thankfully I didn't buy those..just borrowed them from my roommate.

Yeah my friend uses those and I find them to sound quite horrible even given the price.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 25
Oh man..my KSC-75s shipped from Amazon crazy fast for super-saver. I orderd them late sunday night, they are getting here tommorow. I am pumped. Do they benefit from break in much?

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 25
I just got my KSC75s today. Biggest issue I'm having is comfort on the right side. I bent the metal clip a little akward and, despite the fact that it looks just like the left one, I can't get it to feel just right. Granted I have to get used to that band behind my ear as well. I was also expecting the clips to be made of a softer material. It's a plastic softer and less stiff than the KSC35s but I was expecting something supersquishy like silicone.

They sound great, I'm really impressed. As far as burn in, there is a fuzzy kind of buzz on some high frequencies, it should go away in time, I think it already has a little. I'm really shocked at the bass impact these things have, for the size anyway. I use an EQ that is slightly parabolic looking (with the mids being a little recessed) and the treble and bass pushed up a little in the Windows volume control (Audigy 2 here). I've tried without EQ and treble/bass adjustment and...well, everything just sounds like crap. On any headphone I've used...not sure how people go without some kind of tonal control. :/

Anyway, overall I think they at least rival my HD497s. They're a little warmer, less dry sounding. They seem to slurry some of the mids together, but it's hard to tell without a good burn in.

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 25
Hope they're not as bassy or trebly as sportapro !
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
I just got my KSC75s today. Biggest issue I'm having is comfort on the right side. I bent the metal clip a little akward and, despite the fact that it looks just like the left one, I can't get it to feel just right. Granted I have to get used to that band behind my ear as well. I was also expecting the clips to be made of a softer material. It's a plastic softer and less stiff than the KSC35s but I was expecting something supersquishy like silicone.

I found that problem too when i was using them, the trick is.... dont worry about it for a few hours or so, just let your ears get used to them being off for a while. While you have em off for a few hours just get em straight (doesnt have to be perfect) and then pop em back on and you shouldnt be able to tell a difference between the two fitting anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back