Portable headphones that leak as little noise as possible?
Sep 2, 2005 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a senior in high school and our school just this year allowed us to start listening to mp3 players in school. I need something that I can listen to without disturbing other people who are trying to work. Also something that isn't too goofy looking
lambda.gif
I don't want to spend too much since there is a risk that I could lose them, break them, or have them stolen in school. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 18
I was interested in the koss-75, but aren't they open headphones and leak a lot of sound? If they're quiet i'll give them a try..
but I'd recommend the sony ex-51 or ex-71 ex-81. ear phones. They isolate well and sound decent for portable usage and most importantly are comfortable for long listening sessions

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 18
You didn't say what your budget is so I'll give you my pricy recommendation: Etymotic ER4P. You could be sitting shoulder to shoulder on the bus and the person next to you would not know you were listening to music.

MJ

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
You didn't say what your budget is so I'll give you my pricy recommendation: Etymotic ER4P. You could be sitting shoulder to shoulder on the bus and the person next to you would not know you were listening to music.

MJ

he said he doesnt want to spend too much, for fear of them getting stolen/trashed while at school

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 18
canalphones are good at isolating sound.. i used the shure e2c's when i was in high school, and they sounded really good to me. They are very durable, but they cost ~$60-80

some cheaper canalphones that might be good are
panasonic hje50(~$20),
sharp md33($40),
and sony ex71(~$30-40)

this link has a few comments about most of the headphones that have been mentioned (hje50/md33/ex71/e4p)

here's another link
comparing the hje50 and ex71

If you are going to be listening to music on and off, for a few minutes at a time, I would get sennheiser mx400/500's. theyre pretty cheap (~$11-20). No need to worry about too much breakage or theft. i don't think earbuds leak as much sound as open headphones, and you can still hear what's going on around you.

but if you think you're going to listen to music for a long time undisturbed, and not going to talk to anyone i would get canalphones. people won't hear your music, even in a quiet setting like a library.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 18
The KSC75s leak a ton of sound, I am sitting here right now with my mp3 player on the desk and the KSC75s about an inch further away (I would say there's about 2 feet between them and my head) and when I just turned on my mp3 player and hit the play button, I could hear the music without leaning closer to the clip-ons. And I don't play my music especially loud or anything.

I would recommend Sennheiser MX400s, they sound quite good (although the only things I can compare them with are Koss UR15c and KSC75) and they don't really leak at all. Unless you're really blasting it, no one should be disturbed. The MX450s are also supposed to be good, but I think you're safer with the MX400s (some people don't like MX450.)

In addition, the Panasonic HJE50s look pretty good and cheap, although I've never used or heard them.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently leaning towards the sennheiser mx400's or the sharp md33's. I listen to my music fairly loud, I would prefer to leak almost 0 sound since I don't want to disturb a lot of people. I would probably be wearing them for only up to 20 minutes at a time, sometimes only for 5 minutes while in the hallway walking to class. Would canalphones like the md33's be too much of a hassle to take in and out so often? I've never owned canalphones so I don't really know how difficult it is. Out of those 2 headphones which would be better for my needs? Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

ps: sorry if this is the wrong section, i didnt know if I should put it in portable or in headphones so I just put it here

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 18
alright, i guess i didnt think this one through then. in that case, i switch my vote the Sennheiser MX-450's. they are the follow up to the MX400's, and provide better sound. i have a pair, and they work great for school uses. i actually just upgraded from the MX-450's to some Shure E2C's, and i am so happy i did, they sound freaking awesome. i'm still glad i have my MX-450's though, because while in class, i need to hear what's going on around me. i'll use the E2C's everywhere else though, that's for damn sure

Sep 3, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently leaning towards the sennheiser mx400's or the sharp md33's. I listen to my music fairly loud, I would prefer to leak almost 0 sound since I don't want to disturb a lot of people. I would probably be wearing them for only up to 20 minutes at a time, sometimes only for 5 minutes while in the hallway walking to class. Would canalphones like the md33's be too much of a hassle to take in and out so often? I've never owned canalphones so I don't really know how difficult it is. Out of those 2 headphones which would be better for my needs? Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

ps: sorry if this is the wrong section, i didnt know if I should put it in portable or in headphones so I just put it here

For what it's worth, I've got the Sharp MD33s. They are inexpensive and sound great, with very little amplification. Best of all, they are for all intents, invisible to anyone near you.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 18
The Panasonic RP-HJE50's are perfect for what you'll be using them for. I'm also in high school, and for part of last year I was using the HJE50's. They're cheap, comfortable, and sound great. They are also pretty small, and if you sit toward the back of the classroom you can probably get away with popping them in during a boring video, etc. My set ended up breaking over the summer though so this year I upgreaded to the RP-HJE70. They sound better, but they are more expensive, and bigger.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 18
Here are some suggestions:

beyerdynamic DT231 Pro-$60
decent price
comfortable, good bass and very portable

Shure E2c-$100
a little more pricy
Very bassy GREAT FOR ROCK
Perfect for on the go

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 18
Are canalphones easy enough to put in/take out quite often? If not then I'll probably just stick with earbuds. I would like to get something fairly nice but they need to be durable too. I'm researching your suggestions so keep them coming, thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back