Portable headphones suggetsion
Jan 1, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 26
that'll be 2.03cm approx Joelongwood
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 26
Thanks, Duncan.....you know, I remember when I was in high school (mid-sixties) there was all this talk about the USA joining the rest of the world in using the metric system. Still waiting.......
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Just measured them, with the foam pads, and got 3/4 inch diameter. Sorry, you'll have to do the metric conversion.
tongue.gif

hehe I don't think you're measuring what I had in mind because 2cm seems awfully big to fit in the ear. Here take a look at the photo

Jan 1, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bil
hehe I don't think you're measuring what I had in mind. Here take a look at the photo

That is EXACTLY what I measured.......... I just measured it again without the foam and got 11/16 of an inch.
Here's the conversion to metric I came up with:
0.75 inch = 1.905 centimeter

Jan 1, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 26
Oops, I was 1mm out...

Guess my math isn't so hot
frown.gif

Still as near as damnit though
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 26
The D22's are in fact quite tiny bil. Not as tiny as the PX200, but still pretty small. I can just about stuff the D66 into a jacket pocket.

And you're in luck, I'm listening to the D22 again and comparing it to the EM7, to decide if it goes back into storage. It's not bad you know. It is however obviously lacking on the bass. With my MD's they sound OK but there's obviously some bass enhancement on both units, I've found that with many CD players the sound is at the same time more upfront but lacks 'body'. The complaints emanating about the EM7 totally lacking bass, and some people finding no problems with the extremely bassy PX200 seem to bear that out. For 'platforms' like that the D22's wouldn't make you very happy, but on the whole it's fairly good value even considering the imported cost. But a current-model MD with the superior sound (to any current CDP) would bring these out better than a CD player.

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 26
I personally like grado's (I own the sr-225) and although they may be ugly to some, I quite like their "rustic" look. The sr60, although a bit above what you wanted to spend, sounds like a good choice.

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 26
Good call on the SR-60s Deac311
smily_headphones1.gif
- Welcome to Head-Fi...

The SR60s are the only one of the Grado line-up that I would personally recommend to anyone... they don't seem to have the same Grado signature that the higher models do
smily_headphones1.gif

Another worthy contender... but, you'd have to bear in mind that they are as open as open could be
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 26
If the MX500 is 1.905cm then I guess they're out too because they're larger than these stock earbuds. Thank you for taking the time to measure them joelongwood.

I think we're getting out of range here with the Grados and the PX200. Do the KSC-55's stay on any better than the 50s?

What about plug style phones within my budget?

Jan 2, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
The SR60s are the only one of the Grado line-up that I would personally recommend to anyone... they don't seem to have the same Grado signature that the higher models do
smily_headphones1.gif

I hate to sound like a Panto dame, but OH YES THEY DO. The SR60's are the epitome (maybe slightly, but only ever so slightly toned down) of the harsh and no-low-end Grado sound, which is emphasized by low-powered portable sources. How people can recommend these for portable use, I have absolutely no idea. Given the cost I'd rather buy an HD280... A better sound is attainable from this for most purposes in most environments, and they're much more practical. They may look sillier than the Grados do in public but they will be my choice.

Jan 2, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 26
You all are going to think I'm crazy, but I just ordered a pair of MX500 fron Newegg hoping they may be comfortable in my ear. It was only 19 bucks shipped so if it doesn't work out I can just sell them to someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back