Portable Headphones Suggestions - Want something comparable to Bose AE2
Dec 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

coolfrog155

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am pretty new to this whole headphone thing. I know that people on here are generally against Bose. I am just trying to find headphones that are comfortable, portable (and also have a short cable - unlike the ATH-M50's), etc. I want to be able to wear them for a long period of time without my ears beginning to hurt. Also, I will be using them in public, so I don't want there to be too much sound leakage. I considered the ATH-ANC7b's, but found there to be too much leakage - plus I really don't need noise canceling. I was leaning towards the M50's until I realized how big they are and how long the cord is (and I really don't want the coiled cable). That is when I found out about the Bose AE2's. I know that I could get something better for the price, but what? All of the suggestions I have seen on here talk about headphones that are just too big for me. I do want over the ear, closed headphones, though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 13
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), closed, nice sound, cups barely fit around my ears, short cable, cheaper then the Bose AE2.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Anybody have anything good to say about the Bose AE2's or is everybody highly against them? My ears are fairly large, so I would like to find an over-the-ear headphone with a large enough cup size. The AE2's seem to fit comfortable on my ears. I currently have the Sennheiser PX 200 II B (on-the-ear headphones) and they are just not comfortable at all. Also, I feel like the sound is better on an over-the-ear pair. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 13
i remember thinking that bose headphones were amazing sound quality until i heard something that was actually good.

look into meelectronic's over the ear, or phiaton's ps320
here's mee's:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Lightweight-Headphone-Adjustable-Foldable/dp/B004JQQDZ2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1323719660&sr=8-9

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 13
I actually just purchased the ATH M50 last week, and have been in love ever since. I was at first rather bothered by the length of the un-coiled cable, but I simply wrapped a rubber band around and solved that problem right away.

A close friend of mine has the AE2, and I must say that in terms of sound, the M50 really walks all over the AE2. No doubt about that. Portability and comfort area different story altogether. The AE2 have really nice earpads and the cans themselves are rather light. The M50s, on the other hand, are pretty bulky and heavy. I found them a bit uncomfortable the first time I wore them, but ever since I've found the to be really nice.

Both headphones have great isolation, in my opinion. 

In sum -- the cable length problem is solvable. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 13
Since my main concerns are portability and comfort, I think I will just go for the AE2's unless somebody else has another idea for a closed over-ear headphone. I was also looking into the Phiaton PS 320 or the MS 300. Anybody know the difference between the two? Are they both on-ear or over-ear? What about the comfort of them?

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 13
dude get the PS320, from what i hear theyre pretty amazing. i dont find on ears comfortable, but if i were in the market for one i would get the ps320, no doubts.

just read any of the reviews here using the search function.

check this out too
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 13
So the PS 320's are on-ear? From the picture it almost looks like they fit over your ear. Can somebody comment on this? I have the PX 200-ii B and I don't like them because of comfort (too small and they sit on your ears - they hurt my ears after an hour) and because the sound does not fully encompass your ears (if that makes sense). Is this different with the PS 320's or should I go for a truly over-ear headphone?

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Anybody have anything good to say about the Bose AE2's or is everybody highly against them? My ears are fairly large, so I would like to find an over-the-ear headphone with a large enough cup size. The AE2's seem to fit comfortable on my ears. I currently have the Sennheiser PX 200 II B (on-the-ear headphones) and they are just not comfortable at all. Also, I feel like the sound is better on an over-the-ear pair. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I like mine very much. I paid only $99, so for that amount, they sound great! Oddly enough, I replaced my PX200 with them! The bass is far better, they are more comfortable, and the isolation is superior. Overall, they are very musical and I'm pleased with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back