Portable Headphones Redux
Apr 13, 2005 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
After a failed stint with E2c's, I've returned to hopefully buy my last headphones (until I can afford an amp and MS-2i's, that is). I've narrowed it down to the Sony V6/7506 and Audio-Technica FC7. I was able to try out the V6's at Fry's for all of 30 seconds (hooray parents buying their bratty 3 year olds headphones right next to you), and I really liked them, but I want to make sure that I'm making the right decision on them. They're going to be paired up with a Zen Xtra and plenty of rock and metal music
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Any help in letting me take another step out of here would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

I own a FC-7 and i've gotta say i love the hard thumping bass this pair of portables can produce. All the double bass are loud and precise. However, the down side is that due to the shear volume of the bass, it's kind of muddy. Don't expect to hear much of the bass tones. The trebles are good BTW. Mids is kind of missing but who cares since we're listening to metal.
tongue.gif
All in all a very fun pair of cans to listen too.

I've never tried a 7506 before and in fact i nearly got one but the lack of bass in most sony cans just didn't do it for me. I've never heard a 7506 so i may be wrong.

RAWK ON!!!

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 13
That right there makes me want to get the V6's. I listen to plenty of music outside of metal, I appreciate a singer who actually sings and I'm a bass player (one reason why I love Iron Maiden), so mids and not-so-muddy bass are important as well. Plus, my SR-60's are on their last leg, so buying the V6 in-store would be preferable to waiting for the FC7's to be delivered. Guess I answered my own question...

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kank_39
I've never tried a 7506 before and in fact i nearly got one but the lack of bass in most sony cans just didn't do it for me. I've never heard a 7506 so i may be wrong.RAWK ON!!!

I can state categorically, that the V6/7506 does NOT lack bass in any way, shape, or form.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Wondering about the D66 Eggo. Some ppl say they're great, but more ppl seem to say they're lacking bass.

Then there is the D66 mod... and I wonder if that even works.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I can state categorically, that the V6/7506 does NOT lack bass in any way, shape, or form.
biggrin.gif

Nice!
wink.gif
Does that mean it's time for me to be a 7506 convert?
3000smile.gif

The other problem that set me back for 7506 is the bulkiness and the coiled telephone cable. I was looking for a set of portables so I got FC-7 instead of the 7506. Maybe I'll get it for home use soon.
biggrin.gif

BTW I'm a guitar player so mids aren't really my thing but of course it's definitely nice if i could get a sound that really balances all the different elements.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 13
HI: I use the Shure E2c when I need isolation but most of the time I use the koss 75 for my portable use. They are comfortable and have a very small size factor. I really like the bass they put out. I did the quarter hole mod to the pads and get very good mids and highs also.

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 13
After reading the comment about the FC7's bloated bass, I made a trip to Fry's to check out the V6's again, and now I have them on my head at home
biggrin.gif
. Without any burn-in, I can tell that my SR-60's will be collecting dust. This is the sound I've been wanting in my Grado's and been trying to EQ into my E2c's: a strong low-end without overshadowing the mids or highs. They're a perfect match for my Zen Xtra, but they're making my computer's built-in sound card sound like the crap it is. I think I can get a sound card and leave Head-Fi in peace, after spending less than $200. We'll see what I'm saying 3 months from now...

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Anyone who says these don't have bass is either deaf or incredibly stupid.

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 13
For my Zen Micro, the combination of Future Sonics EM3's and Pocket Amp2 V2 totalling $150 makes my metal kick butt.

Grip Inc, Opeth, Meshuggah - never sounded so good in a portable setup before.

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I think I can get a sound card and leave Head-Fi in peace, after spending less than $200. We'll see what I'm saying 3 months from now...

Well, that would be nice for your wallet, wouldn't it?
I bought my first pair of V6 back around 1989, then bought a second pair a few years later. I was extremely happy with the sound, and durability (been tossed around by my sons and still look new) for over 10 years.........then I found Head-Wize and Head-Fi.
frown.gif

You have a great, underrated (IMHO) pair of headphones. If you want more comfort, particularly in the summer, you can replace the pleather with some Beyer DT-231 (I think) velour pads...........it's a nice feeling. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

If you want more comfort, particularly in the summer, you can replace the pleather with some Beyer DT-231 (I think) velour pads...........it's a nice feeling. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

$20 to freedom. Yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back