Portable headphones recommendations
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EnsisTheSlayer

Head-Fier
I'm looking for new portable closed back headphones to replace my AKG K182s which sound too bad next to my modded HD 558s for me to enjoy.

The $180 Refubished MSR7s appealed to me since they seem comfy out of the box with many cables and a carrying pouch out of the box, and I think they'd be good for the music I listen to. I'm also considering the AKG K553s because of their cheap Massdrop price ($110 when they launch again) and a carrying case is only $20-35. And coming from my K182s I'm fine with long AKG cables because they're good quality and wrap up nice for 4ft mobile use.

I listen to mostly OSTs/classical music like Star Wars and Halo, slower classical rock like Queen and Pink Floyd, slight metal like Metallica, and pop punk music like My Chemical Romance and Panic! At The Disco, and some Jazz here and there. Mid-range is really important to me for classic rock, so no extreme v shaped headphones. It doesn't have to be completely neutral, just not too recessed of a mid-range. Bass bump is okay.

My budget is $200 max, but I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 if there are any cheaper alternatives I don't know about. Also I don't mind used or refurbished as long as it's "Very Good" or better. It either has to come with a carrying bag, or still be under $200 after factoring in an after-market carring bag.

Thanks in advance if anyone decides to help me this time!

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm looking for new portable closed back headphones to replace my AKG K182s which sound too bad next to my modded HD 558s for me to enjoy.

The $180 Refubished MSR7s appealed to me since they seem comfy out of the box with many cables and a carrying pouch out of the box, and I think they'd be good for the music I listen to. I'm also considering the AKG K553s because of their cheap Massdrop price ($110 when they launch again) and a carrying case is only $20-35. And coming from my K182s I'm fine with long AKG cables because they're good quality and wrap up nice for 4ft mobile use.

I listen to mostly OSTs/classical music like Star Wars and Halo, slower classical rock like Queen and Pink Floyd, slight metal like Metallica, and pop punk music like My Chemical Romance and Panic! At The Disco, and some Jazz here and there. Mid-range is really important to me for classic rock, so no extreme v shaped headphones. It doesn't have to be completely neutral, just not too recessed of a mid-range. Bass bump is okay.

My budget is $200 max, but I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 if there are any cheaper alternatives I don't know about. Also I don't mind used or refurbished as long as it's "Very Good" or better. It either has to come with a carrying bag, or still be under $200 after factoring in an after-market carring bag.

Thanks in advance if anyone decides to help me this time!
I would add to your list the AKG K545. It is a more portable option than the K553 Pro, while sounding extremely similar. I would also include the SoundMAGIC HP151 with your options. Really terrific sounding closed can well within your price range. Definitely worth reading about. It's possible it could work for you.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
I would add to your list the AKG K545. It is a more portable option than the K553 Pro, while sounding extremely similar. I would also include the SoundMAGIC HP151 with your options. Really terrific sounding closed can well within your price range. Definitely worth reading about. It's possible it could work for you.
Thank you! I've never heard of the HP151s before, but after doing a little digging they seem like the cans for me since I'm okay with wrapping up long cables, and it seems the build concerns with the HP150s were fixed with the 151s. If all else goes wrong, at least I can help by leaving a review and stuff. I don't plan on getting them right away, but thank you again for helping me decide!

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you! I've never heard of the HP151s before, but after doing a little digging they seem like the cans for me since I'm okay with wrapping up long cables, and it seems the build concerns with the HP150s were fixed with the 151s. If all else goes wrong, at least I can help by leaving a review and stuff. I don't plan on getting them right away, but thank you again for helping me decide!
Let us know how they do work out for you.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Let us know how they do work out for you.
It might be maybe a month or so until I decide to pull the trigger, but when I do I'll certainly try to post my thoughts and if they're what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back