Portable headphones recommendations needed!
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EpicHobo1

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am looking for a new pair of portable headphones and would like to ask people some recommendations about which pair would suit me best.

I currently have a pair of Bose Around Ear (the first model) as portable headphones and a pair of Sennheiser HD595 for home listening. After purchasing the 595's and returning to the AE's I was startled by the huge difference between the two of them. The AE's just sounded so...artificial, and I can hardly appreciate the sound they give now that I have listened to the HD595. Now i know the HD595 are open headphones and the Bose are closed, and that's where I need tips and recommendations. After doing some research, two pairs of headphones have stood out for me: the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sony MDR-1R.

So basically, I am looking for a replacement for my Bose Around Ear. However, that doesn't mean that I want one that sounds the same, on the contrary. Now the one thing that I love about my Bose is how there is almost no sound leaking, even at high volumes. I love listening to music at really high volume, and the Bose allowed me to do so on public transportation quite easily. I am looking for something that is pretty similar to my Bose in terms of sound leaking, or if possible even better.

I listen to a really wide variety of music genres, from 70's progressive to post-rock to noise to alternative and many types of metal. 
Some of my favorite bands:
Coheed and Cambria
Between the buried and me
Unexpect
The Fall of Troy
All shall perish
Melt-Banana
Opeth
Jaga Jazzist
Explosions in the sky
Maybeshewill
Florence and the Machine
Alcest
Peste Noire
HORSE the band
Dropkick Murphys
Epic music (two steps from hell, immediate music, etc)

Based on everything above, which headphones would you recommend? I don't really know which kind of sound signature would suit me best, but I would like something that fits most of the styles of music I listen to (I don't really listen to techno, rap and classical). If it could be of any help or indication, I really love the sound of my Sennheiser HD595. My price range is at the most 300$. 

I already have the Audio Technica ATH-50 and Sony MDR-1R in my sights, so I would like some feedback on these. Would they fit my tastes based on everything above and why? I am also looking for new suggestions and recommendations based on your personal experiences.

The one thing that the headphones need to have is sound leaking prevention as good or better as the Bose Around Ear I already have. I also wear glasses, and would like a pretty comfortable pair of headphones that don't squish my head and press against the sides of my glasses. 

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 11
To be honest, it depends what kind of sound you like. I like my rock/alternative with forward treble and slightly forward mids. What's your preference? M50 sounds good, but considering that you like HD595, I feel like you won't like them.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't really know much about these things, so I guess I want something that is more balanced since I'll be listening to many kinds of music? I am mainly looking for headphones with little to no sound leak at high volumes, that is relatively portable and has good comfort. The sound of the headphone isn't really the thing that matters the most, but I guess I can't really go wrong with neutral, or at least something not too far from there.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Hello!

The genre you listen to might be too fast for 1R and it may not be able to pick up the details in it. As for the ATH-50, if you are looking for neutral headphone, it's not the best either. 

You can look into the PSB M4U1 and/or the Momentum. Depending on what sound you are looking for. Both have pretty natural timbre but the M4U1 are more neutral while the Momentum offer a more warmish tone

**A word of advice, listening at high volume is never good for your ears**

Hope this helps!
Billson :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the replies,
I've heard some good things about the Sennheiser Momentums, and they seem to be a pretty good fit to my needs so far. However I would like to know how the sound leak is on them compared to the Bose Around Ear or anything comparable. As I have stated above, the sound leaking will greatly influence my purchase.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 11
If youre looking for a headphone that prevents sound leakage, the Philips Citiscape Uptown's should be in your sight.. they are a balanced and refined headphone thats very affordable withing that price range, and they are almost as clear as the Sony MDR-1R..

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I have the uptown, m50, and 1r and the 1r is definitely the best! (of course IMO). Though, if you looking at the 1r, then you should also be looking at:
Sennheiser Momentum
ATH WS99
V-Moda M100
and a few more.

I'm getting the new kef m500 tommorow, so if you want, I'll provide impressions.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 11
My choice seems to always come back to the Sennheiser Momentum since from what I have read they have a relatively neutral sound and seem to be really comfortable while not leaking too much sound. I can't seem to find a pair that is under 300$ on internet, and that would be a little bit too expensive.

Could anyone direct me to any good electronics/headphones website that could sell them under 300$?
Is there also any slightly cheaper alternative to the Momentums? A pair that would share most of its characteristics.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back