Portable headphones. Oppo PM-3, buy a dac etc.
May 3, 2017 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tryminator

Head-Fier
Hi,

So, I have been looking for some good portable headphones. First I bought the Bang & Olufsen H9. I ended up returning them, they sounded just OK, and they were too big in a case to travel with.

Recently I bought Oppo PM-3 and Sony MDR-1000x. I also have a pair of Meze 99 at home. I think I will return the Sonys. The PM-3 is good, but maybe a bit too "planar." The bass is kind of "boring" I think. They are very relaxed. The Meze 99s have a much more "fun" bass. Tho, I believe that the PM-3 does pretty much everything else better...

My music source is my phone (Galaxy s8+) with Tidal HiFi.

What do you recommend me to do? I am worried that the PM-3 might get a bit boring. Should I get a dac. Like Oppo HA-2se etc. Or should I try some other headphones?

May 3, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 4
If you are finding the PM-3 potentially too vanilla or boring, you are most certainly not alone. It is a common refrain. Whether that gets better over time or worse over time, it is difficult to predict. Personally,, I suspect that if you find them a bit uninteresting now, you will likely find them more so with time, not less--but that is just me.
I love the MEZE, very fun, great bass. For me, a better option than the Oppo. Would getting a DAC alter your experience significantly? Hard to say. It might, but I don't think it is going to change the fundamental character of the PM-3, which is just sort of vanilla. Maybe you should check out something else for your portable option. I like the B&W P7 a whole lot. Some people like the NAD HP50 quite a lot. There are also Momentum fans out there (I am not one). Maybe read about those and see what you think. If I were you, I would likely buy a new headphone--but that's just me.

May 3, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi,

So, I have been looking for some good portable headphones. First I bought the Bang & Olufsen H9. I ended up returning them, they sounded just OK, and they were too big in a case to travel with.

Recently I bought Oppo PM-3 and Sony MDR-1000x. I also have a pair of Meze 99 at home. I think I will return the Sonys. The PM-3 is good, but maybe a bit too "planar." The bass is kind of "boring" I think. They are very relaxed. The Meze 99s have a much more "fun" bass. Tho, I believe that the PM-3 does pretty much everything else better...

My music source is my phone (Galaxy s8+) with Tidal HiFi.

What do you recommend me to do? I am worried that the PM-3 might get a bit boring. Should I get a dac. Like Oppo HA-2se etc. Or should I try some other headphones?
What are you trying to achieve ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back