Portable headphones for the discerning gentleman
Nov 21, 2009 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cowpat

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones to wear at work and out/about. Unfortunately my Nuforce UF-30s have started to cut out at the headphone jack (my second pair) so i'm looking for something different, but not too far away from the UF-30s. So small, over the ear (not around), sub $100.

In terms of music i'm a fan of most things (rock, jazz, soul, electronic) so all-purpose use is a must, but in general i prefer a warmer, deeper sound which is uncongested, and i'm not a fan of shrillness and harsh highs

I spotted joker's portable headphones thread, and very useful it was too. From that the G2As look pretty perfect, but i'd be grateful for any advice or further suggestions of other phones that might have slipped under the radar

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowpat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not biting eh?

G2A it is

Good choice
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 10
i enjoyed your review joker, just one thing though. Would you say the G2As are a little thin and trebly (an accusation i've seen elsewhere). Also, how do they handle high volumes with their closed backs? Is there much resonance?

i was also looking at the v-Jays, but apparently they have a slightly coloured and unbalanced (bassy) sound. Have you heard them at all?

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

i enjoyed your review joker, just one thing though. Would you say the G2As are a little thin and trebly (an accusation i've seen elsewhere). Also, how do they handle high volumes with their closed backs? Is there much resonance?

i was also looking at the v-Jays, but apparently they have a slightly coloured and unbalanced (bassy) sound. Have you heard them at all?

Well, the G2A sound pretty transparent. They don't have the midrange lushness of phones like the ATH-ES7 or D1001k, so i suppose some could interpret that as thin sound. They are definitely not bassy, but I wouldn't say they are treble-biased. I found them pretty balanced and quite effortless in their presentation.

The only Jays I own are the J-Jays, and I doubt they sound anything like the C-/V-Jays.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 10
can't fault a balanced and effortless phone really.. It's funny you mention the ES7 though, because i'm not a big fan of them. They seemed very congested to me, a with a definite hint of honk. As closed phones go, do the G2A suffer from any of that sort of resonance?

finally, a broader question - are the G2As fun to listen to, or are they more on the analytical side? Or somewhere in between?

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

can't fault a balanced and effortless phone really.. It's funny you mention the ES7 though, because i'm not a big fan of them. They seemed very congested to me, a with a definite hint of honk. As closed phones go, do the G2A suffer from any of that sort of resonance?

finally, a broader question - are the G2As fun to listen to, or are they more on the analytical side? Or somewhere in between?

I don't like the ES7 either, and the G2A sound nowhere near as closed. The G2A can be fun, but as far portable headphones go they are definitely on the analytical side (compared again to stuff like the ES7, PortaPros, PX100s, CAL!'s, etc). Not Etymotic analytical, but not a warm candle-lit bath, either.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I know you're a gentleman sir? guess I'd have to take your word for it
wink.gif

I for one do not regard "cowpat" as any way to address a gentleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back