portable headphones for kpop
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iCha0s

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

After my last in-ear headphones broke, I decided to buy some new over-ear headphones. I searched quite a lot on the internet and especially on this forum, but the amount of information I found is just overwhelming and was therefore not helpful at all, so I would really need some help! :)

I listen to kpop only, which basically consists of electronic pop (including some rap) and ballads. I don't really care about basses and stuff (always use the "more heights" EQ on my iPod). I'd mainly use them on my daily bus rides, which is why they should be portable and compatible for my iPod. I buy all my music at iTunes, which means that the music I'm listening to is not the very best quality. I also read that some headphones require amps to sound optimally, but that was the first time I heard about such stuff and therefore I'd prefer not to buy them.

The price should be between 20€ and 200€.

Examples for the kind of music I'm listening to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqdYqsrsA0#t=1m29s (ballad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihi_kJJj_8A&feature=relmfu (electro-pop)

Thanks for your time and I'd truly appreciate some answers!

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to the Forums.

Someone will be along shortly to give you an answer.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Jim

PS Although... V-MODA does make a great line of headphones. Have a look.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 5
I find good majority of K-pop stuff are mastered very lively, highs to mid/upper-mid centric. For example, Core Contents stuff (T-ara, Davichi, for example) tends to be VERY sibilant, Brave Brothers stuff are also mostly sibilant/aggressive, SM stuff (SNSD SuJu etc) are mastered a bit louder than others and very edgy, etc. YG stuff like 2NE1 and Psy are mastered decently IMO actually, better than others, but also tend to me mid and bass centric. Then some others are mastered a bit mellow in the upper mids and highs, like JYP stuff (WG, Miss A etc), but somewhat rare.

So I'd say have a read around these forums, but avoid headphones which have reputation of being too forward in the treble and upper mids, or are unforgiving in general. The combination can really assault your ears, IMO, and there is a good chance that you may find it unpleasant. You don't really need overly lively and/or analytical headphones for this genre, IMO. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I find good majority of K-pop stuff are mastered very lively, highs to mid/upper-mid centric.

This is consistent with my experience.

For portable headphone recommendations that mesh well with KPop, I find most every popular artist can benefit from an extra touch of bass for their dance/rap songs, and indeed pop songs as well. Jay Park, 2NE1, Brave Brothers, DBSK, B2ST, even SNSD are some of the artists that I think sound fine with bassy headphones. You can EQ this or find headphones that suit this. I also like warm headphones for KPop.

Stay far away from treble-centric headphones, certain albums I've found can be absolutely piercing (SNSD's first Japanese full album comes to mind, which also suffered from excessive loudness) to the ears.

Headphones in your price range I enjoy with KPop - V-Moda M80 (if you can stand on ear), Citiscape Uptown, ATH-ESW9

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 5
Out of interest, why do you guys think that more bass-centric headphones are better for kpop than ones that focus onto tremble? This kinda confuses me, especially since a huge part of kpop consists of ballads where a strong bass wouldn't sound that great, would it?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back