Portable headphones for classical music
Dec 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 35
Thanks again for your helpful posts!
I have three more questions:

-The Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 seem to be a bit lacking in the bass department from what I've read so far. Is it possible to reasonably correct this problem with the equalizer on the iPod without sounding unnatural?

-Both the ATH-EW9 and the Sennheiser PX200 are "closed" headphones, but the EW9 "don't isolate much" according to facelvega's post. Are the PX200 noticeably better isolated?

-Nobody has so far commented on the closed Sony MDR 710 LP headphones. Any ideas if these are better sounding than the PX200?

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 35
The problem with EW9 is that they are clip on phones, which can not be pushed to your ears more closely like PX100 or others. There is a new model, based on EW9 I believe, but over a head one. Check this link

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones -

And here is the link to some impressions

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/woo...d-pics-263985/

Quote:

Originally Posted by sTisTi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-The Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 seem to be a bit lacking in the bass department from what I've read so far. Is it possible to reasonably correct this problem with the equalizer on the iPod without sounding unnatural?

-Both the ATH-EW9 and the Sennheiser PX200 are "closed" headphones, but the EW9 "don't isolate much" according to facelvega's post. Are the PX200 noticeably better isolated?

-Nobody has so far commented on the closed Sony MDR 710 LP headphones. Any ideas if these are better sounding than the PX200?

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #18 of 35
I listen to a lot of classical music, and with my protable system I use the KOSS SportaPro's. I couldn't be happier with them. They provide a full rich sound through the entire spectrum, they are easy to drive and only cost me around $20 (shipped). So that would be my recommendation to you.

happy listening!

- augustwest

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Earlier in this thread I wholeheartily recommended Stax 001. I have just got a set of EW9s and can also recommend them - also VERY comfortable. On the iPod with Bass lift on EQ they sound excellent - especially on voice and Chamber music. Much as I love my Stax 001 I find the EW9 easier through not needing the additional energizer box to cart around. Both are MUCH better than PX100 or PX200, both of which I have had (PX100) and still have (PX200). Of course the PXs are much less expensive - I reckon that anyone would eventually trade up from the PXs though.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #20 of 35
As good as the S-001 is, I definitely wouldn't want to be carrying around that energiser. They are very detailed and have superb bass. What they lack is a bit of clarity and it wouldn't hurt to ask for more treble, but otherwise they are superb value.

As someone said earlier, the PX100/200 have a smoother, more laid back sound compared to the Koss alternatives. Both the PortaPros and KSC75 have a drier sound signature. Fidelity-wise, I would choose the KSC75 and PortaPros above the PX100/200. All four bow to the baby Stax though.

The question really is, can you see yourself lugging around a rather bulky energiser box? If not, then the PortaPros would be the best out of the group. I quite enjoyed listening to them out of a Xin amp w/ or w/o bass boost and the 75 ohm impedance switch.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #21 of 35
All my phones are specifically selected to be good for classical music. I own MS1s, PK1s (needs amp) Ety-4Ps, IM616s, etc so I could easily choose any of these but while walking around I find it's nearly impossible to discern the subtle SQ distinctions that spending more money (usually) brings so my first choices are Senn MX400s ($4.50) or Koss KSC-75s ($12) because these are excellent phones even when I'm seated in a quiet place where I can apprciate them for being as good as they really are.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

As for IEMs, I have never tried any, but I've never been very fond of wearing earbuds, so I suspect I wouldn't find IEMs comfortable. But would they be clearly better sounding than on-ear phones in the price range to 100 Euros? If yes, I might consider trying some of your recommendations.

I think one question you have to ask yourself is: How portable do you want it to be? If you ultimately want something that you can put in your pocket, or if mobility is extremely important to you, then earphones/IEMs are really the only way to go. Otherwise I would say that in terms of pure sound quality, headphones beat IEMs in the same price range most of the times.

However, IEMs have a couple of advantages besides from being portable:
1. Almost all of them isolate quite a bit of outside noise. Which in turn makes it easier for you to listen to your music and also protects your ears by not having to turn up the volume to overpower outside sounds.

2. They are significantly less noticeable, which generally makes you look more normal. You can decide if this matters to you.

In terms of comfort, most people find IEMs to be comfortable enough with the right fit and sometimes even more comfortable than regular headphones. But there are those who just can't deal with the in-ear design. This is something you probably need to try yourself. They feel very different from earbuds, so don't rule them out automatically. Try a store sample or buy from a place wit h a good return policy.

Those are my opinions regarding IEMs.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 35
I'd just like to say that I have the PX200 and whilst I've not heard the PX100 I have read a great many reviews of both and the conclusion I come to is they sound NOTHING like each other.
The PX200 sound rubbish, they are bass light and tinny unless you hold your hands on the 'phones and push them harder onto your ears, and keep them there! I wish I'd done my research better before buying them.
I think I will get some AKG K518 DJ for my next portable 'phone, but maybe not ideal for your classical listening requirements. I'd look for a closed 'phone if I were you and therefore ignore the PX100.

Cheers.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 35
The PX200 are certainly the try-before-you-buy headphones. As Broosta and others have indiciated, a good fit/seal is essential for satisfactory sound production.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 35
Hi all,

Quote:

Are the closed PX200 comparable in quality to the PX100?

Currently I am owning a PX200 and it does a reasonable job, but is lacking bass, so it's probably not suited for Wagner and other late romantics or film music. I loved them at first, but I think they sound flat now. I won't recommend them too much.

I'm tired of them and want to buy something new...

I wonder if there's much difference between portable headphones and IEMs of the same price. I'm looking at the Shure SE210 and the Audio Technica ATH-EW9. Isolation and sound quality is the most important. Any suggestions?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Currently I am owning a PX200 and it does a reasonable job, but is lacking bass, so it's probably not suited for Wagner and other late romantics or film music. I loved them at first, but I think they sound flat now. I won't recommend them too much.

I'm tired of them and want to buy something new...

I wonder if there's much difference between portable headphones and IEMs of the same price. I'm looking at the Shure SE210 and the Audio Technica ATH-EW9. Isolation and sound quality is the most important. Any suggestions?

Isolation with EW9 is almost non-existant. SQ is bright (maybe too much) with bass suitable only for classical genre - bass is there if the phones are correctly aligned over pinae of ears but won't 'rock' the way some want.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #28 of 35
Like Guarneri said, to me iem's and earbuds have a completely different feel. I never tried a bud I felt was comfortable but iems went from "OK" to "I forget they're there" when I get the right tip. My current iem for classical is the ER6i.

For open portable phones and classical music, I like the PX-100.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #29 of 35
IMO, the ER6i is better than the PX100 though, overall. The PX100's bass is pretty undefined compared to the ER6i's.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the ER6i is better than the PX100 though, overall. The PX100's bass is pretty undefined compared to the ER6i's.

Agreed, ER6i is an extremely good and cheap IEM for classical music. If it had slightly better build quality, they'd undoubtedly beat all other IEMs and most headphones under $100 for classical music. If you take relatively good care of your equipment, ER6i is something you should seriously consider imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back