Portable Headphones/ Earphones for instrumental rock and instrumental acoustic
May 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

WindCatcher

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones or earphones to use with Cowon iAudio9 and HeadAmp Pico Slim, I mostly listen instrumental rock (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Andy Timmons, Greg Howe, Giacomo Castellano) and instrumental acoustic/fingerstyle (Tommy Emmanuel, Franco Morone, Leo Kottke). Could you suggest me a pair that would be suitable for these features?

Thanks in advance

May 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi..  Thanks for providing which equipment you'll be using and the music you'll be listening to, but you forgot to include one of the most important deciding factors.. your budget..  LOL

How much are you willing to spend??  That'll help those with similar tastes in music and equipment make a recommendation.  Good luck in your search. 

Joey

May 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 24
Under $100 budget RE0, Cresyn C750, Philips SHE8550, PS210, M2 and Sony EX500. If little over then HJE900, Q-Jays and Custom 3 are highely recommended.

May 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 24

Joey Russo, ZARIM, thank you so much for you answers.            
Quote:
you forgot to include one of the most important deciding factors.. your budget..  LOL

LOL, you are right. My budget is around 300 $.

I noticed that in your suggestions there are only earphones models, so portable headphones or headphones with little impedance are not suitable for my features? (I'm quite a newbie so sorry in advance if i said something terrific).

May 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Joey Russo, ZARIM, thank you so much for you answers.            
LOL, you are right. My budget is around 300 $.

I noticed that in your suggestions there are only earphones models, so portable headphones or headphones with little impedance are not suitable for my features? (I'm quite a newbie so sorry in advance if i said something terrific).

I have little to no experience with headphones, so others will have to help you with those choices.  As for in ear, I'd suggest the Sennheiser IE7's or IE8's.  The 7's are a little more neutral with great mids which will work well with your music.  The 8's have a warmer sound with more Bass depth.  I listen to Satch and a lot of guitar driven music and I'm enjoying my 8's right now.  You can search for reviews on both, there are appreciation threads for the IE7's and IE8's.  I will say this about both, if isolation is an important factor, you may want to look elsewhere.  The 7's and 8's only offer moderate isolation.  Good luck in your search.

May 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 24
Check out the FX700/Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, UM3X, Shure SE530(5).....

What are you looking for in your music? Do you have any other phones that you could directly compare to? To give us an idea of what you want sound sig wise.

May 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 24

Young Spade, thanks for your suggestions.
Quote:
What are you looking for in your music?

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that delivers an extremely neutral and high-fidelity sound: i would like that each instrument sounds crisp and crystal clear alone, so that I strictly hear the borders of each sound. The thing I would like to avoid is to hear a sound with shaded edges or too warm, in a way that the result will not flickery but enough "frozen" and stable.

May 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
What are you looking for in your music?

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that delivers an extremely neutral and high-fidelity sound: i would like that each instrument sounds crisp and crystal clear alone, so that I strictly hear the borders of each sound. The thing I would like to avoid is to hear a sound with shaded edges or too warm, in a way that the result will not flickery but enough "frozen" and stable.

May 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 24
Um3x, FX700, GR8, MTP MD and Ortofon e-Q7 are highely recommended.......

May 22, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:

Oh yea definitely man. You should check out the UM3Xs, E-Q7s, Shure 535s(530), Earsonics SM3 just to name a few. You should definitely check out the top tier IEMs thread floating around here somewhere. Very informative chart in the beginning :)

May 22, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:

sounds like it's begging for a UM3x
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back