portable headphones < 50$
Aug 29, 2003 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

shibby

Head-Fier
I have searched around a bit, and I realized that the koss 35 aren't good for noisy places and that is what I need the phones for...

I need to find the right mix of isolation, power (no amp), quality style, small size, and price.

And I would prefer for it to be in known stores like BEST-BUY, RADIO SHEAK, CIRCUT CITY so on....
If not, than in on-line stores that accept international credit card.

What would you say on senn PX200/100 or Sony MDR-EX71?

thank you wary much in advans
Rom
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 20
as an owner of both of these phones i would advise you to stay far far away from the ex71's. they treble on these phones almost sounds like a small child shrieking and really renders most music unlistenable. even with the silver mod things dont improve much.

Aug 29, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 20
then you should definitely go for the px200, the bass on these things kill for the size of the phone, and you should also consider stepping up your encoding to atleast 192 (there is a very noticable diffrence).

Aug 29, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 20
If you liked the sound of the ksc35 maybe you want to consider the sportapro's. From what I've read on these forums, the ksc35, sportapro and portapro use th same drivers. You can find the sportapros for 25 to 30 bucks. I'm pretty sure circuit city carries them.

They might provide a little better isolation then the ksc35 since they use a headband rather than clips. They definitely miss on style though. And perhaps on quality as well. Had mine for only about 6 months before I had to throw them away. The wire for one side frayed inside so that I couldn't hear music out that side. The insulation frayed on the other side and had to be covered with tape. Didn't think I was that rough but they were accidently yanked a number of times.

Still I think they were very good for the price and I may get another pair.

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 20
He said he needs isolation. That automatically knocks off open phones. Lots of closed phones don't even provide alot of isolation from outside noise.

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 20
Are the 71 so bad?
and i need them to be small and portable (pocket size)

BTW

Just for comparesent I now own a pear of AIWA HP-X121...and I kind of like them (be gentle
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 20
I had the EX70s...were muddy and bright at the same time. Horrible sound combination.

As for your current preferences...hopefully you'll soon see the light. ^_^

Aug 29, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Well, your link didn't point to anything. I can only assume you're referring to the PX250s, which are PX200s with noise-cancellation technology. Supposedly not worth the extra cost.

Aug 29, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 20
"PXC 250" Yes indeed. This doesn'e make sense! How the heck can Sennheiser charge an extra 90 bucks for "better" isolation??

Aug 30, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 20
It's not really better isolation, it's ACTIVE noise cancellation. That is, it's not an attempt to better seal off your ear, it has a built-in mic which picks up low-frequency sounds and then a signal is overlaid on the source signal. The overlaid signal is phase-inverted from the noise, thus cancelling it.

The idea is actually pretty cool, and if you're on an airplane, it lets you kill the engine noise while still allowing you to hear announcements, your spouse, etc. (Though it still leaves you vulnerable to the Dreaded Screaming Baby.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back