Portable Headphones 2022 - What options are out there?
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,
due to some work related changes I will be travelling a bit more, but will need to travel light. Back in the day there used to be the Sennheiser PX100, PX200, AKG K420, Koss PortaPro etc. and at least PortaPro is still out there.

What I am searching for us a lightweight and sturdy headphone that could potentially travel without a large carrying case. Something that you would consider "audiophile" or high-end.

I have tried the Beyerdynamic Aventho and T51p and found them too muddy sounding. Other than that, I am not really finding anything that could be considered portable.

Please do not recommend IEMs, I have plenty and want to have an alternative set of cans to go to.

Looking forward to your feedback and recommendations :)

PS: No pricing info as I have givin up on limiting my budget... :)

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 6
I got the AKG K371Pro last week and they sound great out of the box, didn't need or want to equalize. Also compact with several cables, and fun bass with closed back privacy. The Bluetooth version isn't tuned as well. Theyre the best sounding headphones I've heard plugged into my phone, though on the amp there was some improvement. If I traveled a lot they would be my go to headphones, also not so expensive I'd be worried if they got damaged or lost.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Ultrasone Signature Series is worth a look, imo.

You won't find muddy sound in there. :)

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi folks,
due to some work related changes I will be travelling a bit more, but will need to travel light. Back in the day there used to be the Sennheiser PX100, PX200, AKG K420, Koss PortaPro etc. and at least PortaPro is still out there.

What I am searching for us a lightweight and sturdy headphone that could potentially travel without a large carrying case. Something that you would consider "audiophile" or high-end.

I have tried the Beyerdynamic Aventho and T51p and found them too muddy sounding. Other than that, I am not really finding anything that could be considered portable.

Please do not recommend IEMs, I have plenty and want to have an alternative set of cans to go to.

The Aventho is one of the clearest, cleanest and most transparent and detailed sounding "portable" (not transportable) headphones out there, almost on the brink of being too sterile. If even it is mudding sounding to you, then probably no headphones of that size may satisfy your needs unfortunately.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi folks,

What did you end up going with? I have been looking for a cheap pair of portable headphones that sound good. I just got a delivery tonight of Koss KPH30ik's. What a great sound. Lots of range and some decent bass. Now I get all the Koss love!

20230206_191545~2.jpg

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi folks,

The Aventho muddy?? It gotta be the problem of the source then, as it is by some distance one of the, if not THE, clearest sounding truly portable cans out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back