Portable headphones $100-$200
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

febtiger

New Head-Fier
I'm looking a pair of cans that are portable, look nice, sound decent, and won't break easily. Somewhere between $100-$200 but the higher price to performance ratio, the better.

But since all my friends have Beats (which I utterly hate for its huge unreasonable unjustified price tag, horrid headache causing sound of muddy muddy boomy base throwing up into the mids and muffled highs), I want a pair of headphones that look just as "nice" too. Something I can wear outside without being laughed at by friends. Yes, I have M50s, 280s, 555s, 650s, 598s, and AD700s, but I just won't bring them outside.

I enjoy listening to underground hip hop, classical, jazz bossa nova, a couple of pop albums (maroon 5 and such), and the occasional mainstream radio junk tra(sh/ck). I particularly enjoy the sound of the 598s and M50s.

Suggestions?

EDIT: I would like to add that I am looking at the Phiaton MS 400s because they look sexy and are built well. But I'm not quite sure about the darker bassy sound. Also, anybody heard of the AKG K450s?

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Not that I can definitively give you recommendations, but in the portable headphone category, I see popular recommendations being Sennheiser HD-25-i ii & Beyerdynamic DT1350. There should be a portable headphones thread floating around here somewhere that should help.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 5
HD25 or the AIAIAI TMA-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
The V-Moda Crossfade M80 look and sound very nice and are built like tanks with lots of cables and a very nice carrying case. They also can be customized with your own print but that option will bring thr pirce up over your $200 upper limit. Here are the reviews myself and other winners of the Crossfade Voyage wrote. http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-m-80-shadow-crossfade-m-80-remote-over-the-ear-headphones-shadow

I am not sure how much isolation you want or how portable your looking for. BUt I also am starting to review a new headphone from Brainwavz calledf the HM3 and have started an impressions/review thread. These headphones go over ear versus on ear but are not heavily isolated. But bang for the buck I think they are very good. Their bass sits right between the bass light BD DT1350 and the heavier sound of the M80. They are not quite as detailed as those headphones but I think they are very nice from a musical perspective. There is some conjecture the HM3 is actually a rebadged Fischer FA-004 which I can not confirm or deny so they might be another option.

If isolation is not need and you want a strong V shaped signature that it quite a bit brighter sounding then I would suggest you look at the Jay's V-Jay headphone. They are comfortable and well built and can be bought fairly cheaply as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back