Portable headphones? ±400$ preferably less
Oct 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bogdanb

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been searching for a pair of closed headphones for more than 6 months.
I'm searching for a headphone to use with my iPhone, but also at home.
(at home I have a yamaha receiver connected to my computer via optical connection)

A. Searching for headphonesand options:
Lliving in Bucharest, Romania I didn't had so many chances to hear a lot of headphones since they tend not to display them, but just keeping them in sealed boxes around here, silly I know. Yet recently I had my chances. From one dealer that shipped to a showroom a pair for me to listen, thru a visit to a local reseller of sennhaiser, to a couple of stores that displayed some nice cands, in new mall near a business center a got the chance to listen to some stuff.

B. What I own:
I own a pair of sony MDR ZX700, actually my wife has them at work for the most of the time, but I get when she will allow me to have them.
I am happy with their sound for the price, and with the build quality also for the price.

C. What I think I want:

1. I would very much to step up my listening experience.
1.1I won't buy a portable amp fot my iPhone - I like it to fit my jeans pocket and I would hate to carry extra weight, and going to the trouble of connecting disconnecting stuff to answer a call or to connect it to my car stereo. I might buy one in future for home use but now is not the time $$$$.
2. I would like to be isolated from outside noise without sacrificing sound quality!
3. It has to be a lasting headphone since I would spend a considerable amount on it (at least for me it is a considerable amount of menoy). As I said i might go up to 400$ actually Euros.
4. Last but not least I might enjoy a build quality such as the one of the V-moda M100's (even if i never touched or seen live a pair the reputation got to me)

D. What I have tested:

1. Sennhaiser Momentum - wrong size!!! tested 3 - 2 were to small - brown version, black version seemed a tad larger strange or i might have found a better position on my ears but still silly small for an over ear.
I liked very much the sound, but didn't loved the can: maybe the soundstage, maybe some other stuff definitely the fit!
also I wonder about the friction mechanism durability - the one for adjusting the headband size (cups position) 

2. Yamaha Pro500 - too expensive for what it is
Squeaking plastic, strange lows, but somehow I have never heard some details in some tracks in the upper mids ot highs as I have heard with this can! I believe it might be also fatiguing after a while
dismissed!

3. Focal spirit one - what a clamping force!!!
also nobody here seems to know the diver problem, new/old casing solution.
I didn't disliked the sound, but the driver option and some pics with a broken pair (posted here on head-fi if i remember correctly)
made me aware abandon this mission to! 

4. Beats: dre, studio 2013, executive - well... not for me, not for my music

5. Denon d400
I had just a quck listen - not bad, bassy but not bad - not sure about details, again very quick listen.
ugly-ish... nice sound

6. Bose QC15 - you never know when you need that kind of isolation - I might just buy them at one point

7. Sony MDR -1R never get the chance to listen just the NC an the BT but I know the sound in different and I like the brown/silver version

8. Phidelio L1 - nice, but i want my privacy, isolation, etc etc... 

E. Help. Please help!

I've seen recently some new stuff wich gave me more to deal with:
B&W p7
Beoplay H6 - they were the reason why a raised the price limit - just based on 2 reviews.

I listen to a lot of music, genres: from Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sepultura, Rodriguez, Tito and Tarantula, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Warrior's Code to Meredith Monk, Andrew Bird, Laura Veiris, The Tiger Lillies, Frank Zappa, Tuxedomoon some stuff like Blockhead, Nightmares On Wax or stuff like Funkadelic, Gogol Bordello, La Brass Banda, John Coltrane... some local Hip-hop sometimes classic music, rarely but still... so a lot of music, a lot of kinds.

At home I listen mostly flac 96/24 or cd quality, losses, sometimes i listen also to mp3s, but I am buying new music, at high quality.

I am searching for a headphone that not only will play beautifully but educate me into music into what was on the recording, ad how it was intended for me to experience while working at my computer* in Photoshop, writing e-mails, taking photographs in various places** while being also able to answer a phone call .

*connected via optical cable to my yamaha reciever or in the future ti a desktop amp
** wile connected to my iPhone with no extra amplifying.

Thank you, guys firstly for being patient enough to read all this, and then thank you for the future suggestions.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 12
DT1350 if you want pure sound quality. No portables I've heard outperforms it imo. But it does have strong clamp. If you want something cheap and portable, also look at Voxoa HD Wireless(you can use them wired).

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
@kimvictor
I think you gave my a kind of answer: Pure sound quality is no iSound quality. 
But still i would like a can that works with my phone too (with a mike...)

one problem I find with DT1350, id does sot seem to have a replaceable cable to fit one with a microphone, and both are on-ear ,or at least is what I can tell, and I prefer Over/Around ear types, or the IEM type.
I will keep the Beyerdynamic in mind.... they say "Excellent ambient noise reduction" i didn't expect that. I have a friend that has a friend... I might go to have a listen to them.
But if I go on this path (a player only headphone) I might get into more troubles... I think! :)

​Thank you!

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 12
  @kimvictor
I think you gave my a kind of answer: Pure sound quality is no iSound quality. 
But still i would like a can that works with my phone too (with a mike...)

one problem I find with DT1350, id does sot seem to have a replaceable cable to fit one with a microphone, and both are on-ear ,or at least is what I can tell, and I prefer Over/Around ear types, or the IEM type.
I will keep the Beyerdynamic in mind.... they say "Excellent ambient noise reduction" i didn't expect that. I have a friend that has a friend... I might go to have a listen to them.
But if I go on this path (a player only headphone) I might get into more troubles... I think! :)

​Thank you!

If you were looking for something with Mic/iDevice remote, you really can't find something of audiophile quality with it. The cheapest "semi" audiophile option would be M80/100 or Voxoa. Both V-Moda and Voxoa comes with mic(Voxoa has mic on the hp) and control. But as you noticed, they aren't the best audiophile headphone for their price. They are all great for the price, but something like SRH840 or DT1350 will outperform them. BTW, some on ears are very comfortable, even more than full sized as they are lighter.

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 12
I like very much the M100, very much, but just from pics and reviews. I don't kow if they ar at least ok in all the types of music that I listen.
How they handle Coltrane for ex? Decet? Or is it to base heavy? Or Andrew Bird?
I was strongly cosidering them for a puchase. It might be an ideea. Strong portable headphones, durable. And later some for home opened.

Sorry for the spelling, my english is far form decent and on the mobile version (i am writing from the phone wright now) there is no spelling.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 12
How about a custom in eat monitor from Cosmic Ears with an Ultimate Ears iPhone cable?

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Aëdle VK-1 <3

About amplifiers, I'm also against carrying the extra weight/device but there are some amplifiers which I wouldn't mind buying if it would add to the sound quality. They are also not the most expensive amplifiers. Such as the FiiO E6 and Firestone Audio Fireye Mini Plus displayed on the picture.

The third option is the NuForce MMP, they are all roughly the same size.

According to the reviews I've read about these devices it's a good upgrade from the amplifier of your mobile phone, mp3 player. They also add something to the sound signature and have a battery life that completes with your device (10-12 hours of music).

Some things I can add (I am looking for a headphone that serves the same purpose at the same price. The B&O Beoplay H6 is a great headphone but needs propper (and with that I mean; well matched) amplification. Else you won't achieve the max potential. De Bowers & Wilkins P7 is a great headphone and easier to drive. The bass on these cans isn't as tight as on the Sennheiser Momentum. Now my pet peeve, the Aëdle VK-1. It's a great headphone and it's the only thing preventing me to buy a product myself. I can't decide between these and the Final Audio Design Heaven V, which is an IEM so it doesn't apply to you. The Aëdle VK-1 is a piece of (headphone) art. It might not be the best sounding but it's art.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 12
@Rage038
Aëdle VK-1, I also like them, still on ear design... but beautiful!
Even if I would't carry extra weight or volume in the shape of an amp, the ones you have shown are pretty nice and small... still I'd be more willing to get a better amp for home than dealing with another charger and device to charge.... 
Have you had a listen to the B&O H6? I have picked it as an option based on looks (pics) and reviews...

(also @FatmanSize48)
My one problem, actually with the IEM is that my eras (maybe yours too)  tend to generate high quantity of wax

So... what sounds better or at least as the Momentums but fits the ears?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 12
If you wish to believe Mike at headfonia, the VK1 should be better than the momentum.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 12
there where two things that made me go elsewhere with my search (That I've read in the review):
1. were the metallic highs - with also some issues there I remember when buying speakers that i have listen to some with particularly metallic sound in the highs that I did not liked
2. on ear design + Mike also said something about the fit and comfort- and since I agree with him about the Sony's MDR-1R's great fit and comfort I might as well believe what is said about the VK1.

I have tried the MDR-1R - but did not get the chance to listen: the display stand in the store, had some issues with the cables + same small source for 5 cans made impossible to listen to them and get an opinion. Comfort wise ... they sit just right on my ears. Ss well did the hd-800's :D, but that's another story...

I think I will wait a little bit longer, for the headphones to appear in romanian stores, and listen to them. also some more review's on B&O H6, and why not some other cans.... :D

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 12
About the Beoplay H6, it's a great headphone, but purely based on sound quality it isn't 400 Euros great. However if you take in addition the design and audio-throughput it can be worth 400 Euros. This is personal. I'd say it does, other say it doesn't. Now you are looking for comfort (and preferably a over-ear design), in this case the Beoplay H6 is a brilliant headphone, only downside is that it can get a bit hot and steamy after a while. The headphone is very balanced sounding, with a great sound stage and detail. The highs a tad soft, now from what I've heard is that most people want for rock are aggressive highs (I don't have any experience with this, I'm a hip-hop connaisseur). The biggest downside to the Beoplay is that some (definitely not all) materials used are plastic, not the good kind but the cheap ones. It doesn't match the premium feel that the rest of the headphone gives. 

About the amplifier, the Beoplay H6 does work well with a phone (I tried it on the HTC One X, Beats audio off) but it sounds so much better when (well) amplified. I don't have experience with the small amplifiers. I hardly have experience with amplifiers (apart from the ones used at the Hi-Fi store here when I'm there for testing) and the TC Electronic Konnekt 6, which I use as a DAC and headphone amplifier at the studio. Now it isn't classed as audiophile but it does its job well. I do believe proper amplification adds much to a headphone, mostly in the calmth (I can't explain it otherwise) of playing audio.

About the Aëdle VK-1, I have absolutely no experience with this headphone apart from what I read online. It's a beautiful headphone, with an immense got-to-have-it factor. Sound wise it's certainly not perfect but I might be willing to look past that - still dubbing between 2 headphones - because of the looks. The Headfonia review is really positive about the Aëdle VK-1 and calls it dark sounding but at 6moons they call it overly bright unless when used with an iPod.

If it's possible for you try and listen to the Bowers & Wilkins P7 too, it should be a better headphone than the Beoplay H6, I can't comment on this. I do find the P7 too large. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back