Portable Headphone Suggestions
Aug 26, 2002 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

}{azard

New Head-Fier
I'm looking around for some headphones/earbuds - whatever, to use with my Slim X. I'm new to the whole quality headphone thing, but I'm looking for something portable and with good sound.

Don't want to spend too much, preferable $100 or less. If you could give me some suggestions in several price ranges it would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Josh

Aug 26, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 19
There is a ton of information around here regarding portable headphones, so I'll just point you in the direction of some I've tried for under $100 that are worth owning:

Sennheiser MX400/500 earbuds $15-$18 (USD)
RadioShack # 33-1991 earbud $20

Koss KSC-35 clip-ons $25-$35 (getting harder to find)

Sony V6 full size, sealed $60?

Grado SR-60 Full size, open $70
Grad0 SR-80 Full size, open $90-$100

Sony D66 eggo $85-$100

I don't think you have to go closed for portable. For instance, open phones work fine for when I walk around the neighborhood or I'm in the yard. On a bus or for commuting, closed phones or earbuds work better though.

Some that I haven't heard that others recommend:

Koss Portapros $31 shipped (half price sale - search for these and you'll find the code)

Sony 888 earbud $60?

Good luck!

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the replies. Right now I really like the look of the sony Pro Eggos, but I'm not sure if they're worth the 100 dollar tag...I'll also look into the Sennheiser earbuds that you mentioned.

As for the Aiwa 'phones, do you have a link? I can't seem to find them on their webpage.

Thanks,
Josh

Aug 28, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 19
All the recommendations so far are great. I would also recommend the NEW Koss KTX Pro 1s, the silver and blue super-light models, not the old black KTX Pros. The new ones are only 20 dollars and mine are burning in and the sound gets more and more gorgeous. They are a brand new model, not even on the Koss web site yet. I have only seem the at Borders Books stores so far, for $20. They have the KSC-35 titanium driver, and they are extremely comfortable and the sound is very flexible, just shift them a quarter inch this way and that way on your ears to get the sound you like, from boomy to punchy to bright.

Aug 28, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 19
I'll look into those new Koss models, 20 dollars is getting me excited
biggrin.gif

I doubt I'll be able to buy them in my small town, so if anybody has a link to them online, it would be great.

Thanks for the help,
Josh

Aug 28, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 19
Hi,

Earbud or clip on: Sony MDR-E888, Senn MX-500, and Koss model.

Seal: Sony MDR-V6

Open: Grado Sr-80.

You won't be disappointed at all if you spend your hard earn money with the SR-80. This grado is awesome for price and performance. The cord could be in the way though.

Aug 28, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 19
im beginning to use my grados outdoors, yep the cord does get in the way alittle. but its better if u have a backpack, as u can loop portion of the wires up....and clipping it onto pack, doesnt get into way as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back