Portable Headphone recommendation (upgrading from B&O H9i)
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Andyhyh

New Head-Fier
Hi all, great to join this Head-Fi community as an "audiophile". I am looking for any portable headphone that can replaces my B&O H9i. Here's a bit of my preferences and "requirements":

General Preferences
- Portable over-ear headphone that I can take anywhere
- I don't mind wired headphones without bluetooth cause I plug my H9i to a Fiio M11 when I'm commuting anyways
- Comfortable headphone that can be worn for hours
- ANC is not important
- My budget is within 850usd

Sound preferences
I do love the sound on my H9i, but there are things that can be improved such as the highs cause fatigue sometimes, vocals are a bit recessed, and the soundstage could be better.
- I listen to high-res files like DSD, WAV Flac (up to 24-bit/96kHz high res audio)
- My ears are a bit high sensitive, so super bright headphones makes my ear fatigue
- I'm not a bass head, and the sound of those "greatest wireless headphones" out there like Sony xh-100xm4 does not appeal to me
- Preferably a headphone with good soundstage, for me it's quite crucial for a immersive listening experience
- I enjoy clear and crips vocals and instruments sound

I am doing a bit of research on H95, but I am skeptical about whether the driver pressing against my ear problem on my H9i is still apparent. Let me know your recommendations and feel free to ask more questions, thanks and have a good day with good music!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Dear God.. you call the mids “abit” recessed?!?!?!
Jokes aside here... the B&O H9i is extremely V-shaped.
Before recommending any headphones, I’d like to know if you have ever listened to something like a HD650?

HD650 with a short aftermarket cable it will work... but it's very different, - most - “audiophile” headphones are much more “flat”....

B&O have never made real “audiophile” headphones, - they have traditionally been more into making a “designed” product, that stood out visually, but soundwise it’s never been that good.

PS - this is coming from someone who lives in Denmark, - the home of B&O, and who has listened to all the headphones, owned their speakers, tv and even a B&O radio...
H658Ql860Lzmdiels4aiEyfq7_4lSItMQ4e-76ooNwXNMeJZd5pQs_RPFdFbBQ1z2TZfyZl6Ss02W7eFOwF87p6VYSnb9qDT21EJSF41f-ybIkThR56XVEdg_34RHejrX3-RS1fM

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi there, I am also considering a portable paar headphones with ANC. I used to have B&O H9i but sold it after the covid. Did not like much of the B&O sound signature. In fact, I used to have B&O H6 paired with Chord Mojo in the past - a pretty dark due, I have to say. Nevertheless, Have you put your hands on Bose QuietComfort Ultra yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back