Portable Headphone (non IEM) - $50
Mar 30, 2009 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm trying to help out a friend who is now looking for some headphones.

Pretty strict $50 budget, with portability a major concern, while also really not wanting any IEMs, or earbuds, as such the headphones I immediately was thinking of are below.

PX/PMX 100 - My first thought/recommendation
Igrado - Strong consideration, do not know much about these though
Portapro

I have heard the PX 100, but not the other ones, so I guess this is where you guys stand in.

In terms of musical taste, he listens to rock/indie stuff, with some favourite bands including The National, Radiohead and Modest Mouse. Unclear on a specific sound signature, but not a basshead

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Couldn't go wrong with either one you listed. Maybe if you wanted to go cheaper you can get the KSC75

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 14
those three maybe the best open portables. and since that your not a basshead, the igrados maybe your best option, they sound specially good with strings, although compared to the other two, these have the least bass, least comfort and least style. (Ive auditioned).

In terms of comfort and style, senns are the best (sorry, I haven't tried this in a long time, so I forgot the sound).

the portpros though, they have the right amount of SQ (enough bass, liquid mids, right amount of highs), comfort (they have this comfort zone thing) and looks (since that retro is becoming the fashion statement of today). and what can't go wrong with the portapros is that, there's a reason they've been manufacturing these things for 25 years. (satisfied user).

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Ha - friend doesn't like the look of the Portapros.

So between Igrado/PX100 for rock/indie/

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Check the Yuin GA2s, which are clip-ons a la Ksc75, but I bought a $1.99 cheap pair of phones at Parts Express and converted them into over the head phones (just swap the clips for the headband). They are $49 at Head-Direct.com. There is a review thread for them below...I got my pair as a review pair, in fact. I like them fine. I had iGrados and I found them very uncomfortable. PX100 isn't bad, but at least read the G2A thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/yuin-g1a-g2a-414920/

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I originally got a pair of Koss clip-ons (sorry can't remember model) cause I thought the portapros looked over the top.

The sound of the clip-ons was good - but because they weren't really pressed to my ears, I had a lot of problems with external noise, the music was just too quiet. I'd have to actually press them to my ears. Plus they got more loose over time, weren't much good at the gym because they didn't sit tight enough and actually I felt sillier looking than I expected - kind of ewok-like.

I ended up getting the portapros and was happy with them. jst my 2-cents worth.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Koss clipons are the ksc75, or ksc35, i think. The 35 uses the same driver as the Portapro, and the 75 uses the same driver, but coated with titanium.

To get back to the thread, I personally love my Portapros (and i like how they look!).
Great sound, Great Price, LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!!

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Earbuds are also not preferred - friend really just wants supra-aural

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, suppose I'll let him listen to my KSC75s, but I really doubt he'll go that route due to the aesthetics/non clips.

Can anyone give a specific comparison on the iGrados vs the Sennheisers regarding indie/general rock?

From what I hear it's a typical Grado vs. Sennheiser sound signature thing, treble/forward vs. warmer/bassier

Just thinking about it - I almost think the iGrados might be the best for that kind of music, seeing as bass isn't the biggest thing, while vocals/guitars should be pretty clear/unobscured

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 14
for home, office or just plain quiet - igrados
for commute, outdoors or noisy environments - px100s

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for home, office or just plain quiet - igrados
for commute, outdoors or noisy environments - px100s

In my expereience, PX100s won't offer you any isolation either in noisey environments, being open backed.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 14
This is purely a personal thing and it may be different for everyone else, but the Koss KTXpro1 was a "PX100 killer" for me. It keeps the same level of bass and instrument separation while improving on the other areas of the spectrum. Essentially it's same as Portapros but less ugly and with volume control (still got to say I like the PX100 design better though, as these ones don't fold).

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Last bump up guys - I promise. Just want to do right by this guy (and maybe, just maybe, get him hooked on some "gateway" phones
smily_headphones1.gif
)

So here's my plan - I have a pair of Koss KSC75's kicking around, will take those over along with my MS1s (not quite fair I know), to represent Koss/iGrado sound signature, and get to know his thoughts. Not sure how to represent the Senns... can't say it would be fair to drag over my Hd580s as well... Maybe...

Any last additional thoughts are, of course, very welcome. From talking to him, and lots of reading (promise I'm not ignoring you Koss fans), I still think I will recommend to him iGrado>PMX100 >= Koss Sportapro anything - neckbands are preferred by him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back