Portable Headphone/Earhugger Suggestion for Classical and Jazz
Sep 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

galileo_c

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Getting tired with ksc75's plastic quality, the right earhugger worn out after 9 months of usage. I found it too expensive to send it back to Koss from Hong Kong for repair. So I'm seeking a new portable phone to use on the bus and rail.

I do love ksc75 and 35's sound signature, but it's bit too bright and mid-bass heavy for jazz and classical music. I used ER4S years ago while my doctor suggest that I shall not use ANY IEM anymore due to excess ear dirt.

The great challenge is to find a headphone or earhugger which fits these:
- Comfortable when wearing glassess (Koss didn't)
- Crisp sound signature (I'm too used with ER4 and STAX, that I can't accept the Nike/Philips HJ030 bought weeks ago)
- Fits classical and jazz presenation
- and the hardest point, around $20-50, as I seldom use them at all. I found I only used my ER4S for 2hrs per week, kind of unwise investment for low utlization.

Kudo to all for your kindly help.

Sep 15, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 3
You mentioned you wanted phones for bus and train which would normally suggest closed phones or IEMs. Then you said you used the KSC75 and liked the 35/75 sound but these are open phones. Did they work for bus/train travel?

If you go with open phones I found the Senn PX-100 to be very comfortable, with glasses and decent for classical music. It would be hard to find a better can for $50 or less.

I haven't listened to the HD-201 or 202 but they are sealed and within your price range. Maybe some others can chime in here.

Unfortunately none of the sub $50 cans will compare very well to your ER4s. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back