Portable headphone DAC vs. Creative Labs X-Fi
Jul 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a headphone amp with a DAC or not and I was wondering: I have a Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeGamer in my computer and it seems to be pretty good:

24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output

24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of stereo digital sources at 192kHz to stereo output

16-bit to 24-bit recording sampling rates: 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (20kHz Low-pass filter, A-Weighted) - Stereo Output 109dB

Frequency Response (-3dB, 24-bit/192kHz input) 10Hz to 88kHz (Stereo only)

With a soundcard like that, would I really notice much of an improvement off a headphone DAC (of moderate price, like the one in the iBasso D2 Boa), or is this one good enough?

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Specs don't always tell you how it sounds. It all comes down to the synergy between your headphones and the amp/source. Ask yourself - do you like the sound of your Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeGamer with your headphones? Why are you considering a change? etc...

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 9
Even though the specs look good, it doesn't say anything about how natural or musical something might sound. My soundblaster audigy has great specs, but instruments don't sound real IMO. For example, strings are clear enough, just don't sound like real live violins/violas/cellos/basses. Creative is not audiophile, it's gamer stuff. Bullets sound good and loud, that's easy, but can you replicate the intricate/complex sounds of a string orchestra? If you're Creative, that's a big NO.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterqw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you like it?

if yes, don't change.

Awesome advice.

Some other good advice? Forget this place ever existed and leave. Your wallet (and possibly family) will thank you later.

Seriously.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 9
I was in the same situation as you. I have an Audigy 2 ZS that i use for gaming and i also have a creative zeno nano plus for a DAP. Basically i did as much research as i can and took a look at my wallet. The conclusion that i came up with was to buy a midlevel portable amp.

Do you have alot of money? If not i would suggest using your X-FI like i did my Audigy 2 ZS and use foobar or winamp with the native Creative ASIO driver. This cost 0 money and improved my FLAC and v0 VBR recordings. Its not the best but its "Good Enough" for now.

I have KSC-35 i use for work and at the gym, thats why i chose a portable amp as my 1st upgrade into the Audiophile world. I can use it at home at my computer on my Sony MDR-V600 and use it at work and the gym.

So i would do an assessment like i did then drop a couple bills into something that would benefit you the most in your current situation. Then slowly build up piece by piece until you have an amazing system.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome advice.

Some other good advice? Forget this place ever existed and leave. Your wallet (and possibly family) will thank you later.

Seriously.

Amen... Beyond that, I spend so much time on this forum, my girlfriend's beginning to think something's going on...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dir_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the same situation as you. I have an Audigy 2 ZS that i use for gaming and i also have a creative zeno nano plus for a DAP. Basically i did as much research as i can and took a look at my wallet. The conclusion that i came up with was to buy a midlevel portable amp.

Do you have alot of money? If not i would suggest using your X-FI like i did my Audigy 2 ZS and use foobar or winamp with the native Creative ASIO driver. This cost 0 money and improved my FLAC and v0 VBR recordings. Its not the best but its "Good Enough" for now.

I have KSC-35 i use for work and at the gym, thats why i chose a portable amp as my 1st upgrade into the Audiophile world. I can use it at home at my computer on my Sony MDR-V600 and use it at work and the gym.

So i would do an assessment like i did then drop a couple bills into something that would benefit you the most in your current situation. Then slowly build up piece by piece until you have an amazing system.

Very good advice, thank you. I may stick with the X-Fi for now. I'm researching a nice portable amp, but I wasn't seriously considering one with a DAC, as the best sounding ones in my price range don't have one. Maybe I need to shelf that idea until I get some more money together and then get a better amp with a good DAC. That would solve my problem and work toward building an amazing system. I just bought my Shure SE530s (sold my Sennheiser HD 600s, and yes it was worth it for my application, for now), so I'm starting along that path.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good advice, thank you. I may stick with the X-Fi for now. I'm researching a nice portable amp, but I wasn't seriously considering one with a DAC, as the best sounding ones in my price range don't have one. Maybe I need to shelf that idea until I get some more money together and then get a better amp with a good DAC. That would solve my problem and work toward building an amazing system. I just bought my Shure SE530s (sold my Sennheiser HD 600s, and yes it was worth it for my application, for now), so I'm starting along that path.

After reading alot around here i think the best Portable Amp/DAC combo is the pico. It has amazing reviews and it sure will put a dent in your pocket. So sense you decided to save i would go after that one. Im not sure if the Lisa III or the iQube come with DAC's but they are also in the top with the pico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back