Portable headphone choice?!?
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

X-Dan

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone !

I am planning to replace my q-jays IEM by a portable headphone. I am now reading your forum for about two weeks. I am reading only flac files with my sansa fuze reader.

I am also a possessor of a Sennheiser HD650, but it's not very portable :wink:

The two most important things to me: very portable and best SQ!
The other factors: very confortable, sound isolation is less important to me.

I have heard numerous posts about Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pro, Sennheiser HD238, AKG 450, Ultrasone Zino or HFI-15G, and more recent about c-jays. But it's so hard to decide and compare

I had only the opportunity of testing a AKG450 and a Koss Porta Pro... I must admit that i largelly prefferred the most "aerial" sound of the Porta Pro, The AKG is working well, but I did not like the sound... something like "in your face" (I have tried to listen to the other models, but they are only available for me through websites...)

I am listening a lot of ambient music and jazz.

Has someone the opportunity to test and compare some of the headphone of my shortlist (or give me the top-portable-uultra-cool-headphone) and give me more advice?

A big big thank to all of you and best regards

Daniel.

PS: sorry for my bad english :wink:

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 7
I have tried a few of the headphones on the low end of the portable spectrum and I really like the PX100s for jazz. Their laid-back presentation and inherent smoothness just works very well. I found the Koss signature sound to be too forward and agressive for Jazz/blues. The PX100s don't isolate (at all) but they are very comfortable and extremely portable (see review in my sig), not to mention pretty cheap.

I haven't owned the more expensive portables, so I'm just throwing this out there with no real recommendation.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 7
You can also add Nuforce UF-30s (made by ultrasone) to your list of candidates. I was looking at portable headphones recently with some of the same criteria as you and ended up picking them.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Personally I just hate things sticking in my ears. I've bought a few IEM and buds, but just can't adjust.

So I have my AD700s at home, and Koss KSC75 for on the go. But just today I ordered a set of Yuin G2As. Hopefully that'll be a nice step up!
atsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your answers

Mmmhh first, I am not really fan's of clip-on so i will not really consider Yuin G2 or Koss KSC75...

Nuforce UF 30 seems very interesting! But how will it sound against other like PX-100 or c-jays?

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 7
I have read a lot more on this great forum...

My list begins to shorten...

I hesitate between Sennheiser HD238, Nuforce UF-30 or Jays C-Jays...

Can someone help me to decide?
Which would give me the best SQ?
How would you define the sound color of each of these models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back