Portable Headphone Amplifier "WAGNUS Bialbero Epsilon S" impression and appreciation thread
Jul 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #481 of 704
I have a beef with this new tube amp. Mr Wagnus is expecting us to use only certain batteries because he couldnt find a better way to engineer his preamp. A device which such characterstic and unfriendly usage speaks poorly of its design process. I am more than willing to live with 6 hours double AA battery but I am not way okay with 2 hours of battery life for a device that might get damaged if you use the wrong batteries for it.

It just does not make sense why he did not go ahead with internal battery. At least the very least it should have a 1:1 battery life with its pairing amp not less. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #482 of 704
Congrats For Your Wagnus family set Up like Me

I am very Happy you like This Wagnus family set Up

So Far is My King OF portable set Up :D

Please Share Your IC , are They from Wagnus too ?

Thank you

IMO

You showed the way, I followed and became a believer in Wagnus sound since Dec last year. It's the sound that I has been pursuing. Many thanks for that but also holding you also responsible for making a couple of my amps redundant...haha

For the ICs, yet to own any Wagnus as I DIY most of my ICs as well as CIEM cables.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #483 of 704
You showed the way, I followed and became a believer in Wagnus sound since Dec last year. It's the sound that I has been pursuing. Many thanks for that but also holding you also responsible for making a couple of my amps redundant...haha

For the ICs, yet to own any Wagnus as I DIY most of my ICs as well as CIEM cables.

I am sorry to hear that Your Amps redundant :D
My goal to Share Wagnus , to stop you or Other friends buy many Thing like Me
Better buy Wagnus than spend a Lot Money like Me hahaha

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #484 of 704
I have a beef with this new tube amp. Mr Wagnus is expecting us to use only certain batteries because he couldnt find a better way to engineer his preamp. A device which such characterstic and unfriendly usage speaks poorly of its design process. I am more than willing to live with 6 hours double AA battery but I am not way okay with 2 hours of battery life for a device that might get damaged if you use the wrong batteries for it.

It just does not make sense why he did not go ahead with internal battery. At least the very least it should have a 1:1 battery life with its pairing amp not less. 

I was skeptical initially about the battery life span. But after a couple of email with Dimitri, finally decided to purchase as my craving creeps in.

Tested the 1900mha and it can last for 3hrs 15mins. Time it twice and using my old Sanyo Eneloop, and an hour more on 2500mha. So, 4hrs is still acceptable as my weekdays listening seldom goes beyond the 4hrs mark. No regret as sound improvement to me is more than what I have expected.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #485 of 704

You are right Moe about The internal battery
The plus Point you can experiment With The battery follow Your taste :D

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #486 of 704
I am sorry to hear that Your Amps redundant :D
My goal to Share Wagnus , to stop you or Other friends buy many Thing like Me
Better buy Wagnus than spend a Lot Money like Me hahaha

That was me buying and changing during my home setup days. And when I get a new gear, before I can hear my music I hear my partner singing spending ridiculous money. Now she is ok on whatever I spend on my personnel audio and always telling myself not to make those younger days mistakes.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #487 of 704
That was me buying and changing during my home setup days. And when I get a new gear, before I can hear my music I hear my partner singing spending ridiculous money. Now she is ok on whatever I spend on my personnel audio and always telling myself not to make those younger days mistakes.

Very Good advise hahaha :D
I thought you are very Yeung or teenager :D

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #488 of 704
I went today, argh miss the chance to try it out. So good it sounds almost like Mr.Rudi gonna ditch hugo. I tried LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-XC today too but haven't decide which one.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #489 of 704
"Ultimate" transportable comparison, which one is Rudi's favorite combo?

[rule]
Double-stacking

AK240 + Hugo + LCD-3 Fazor (or LCD-X and Abyss)

[rule]
Quadruple-stacking

AK240 + Hugo + Valvola + Epsilon S + LCD-3 Fazor (or LCD-X and Abyss)

[rule]
Triple-stacking

AK240 + Valvola + Epsilon S + LCD-3 Fazor (or LCD-X and Abyss)

[rule]

My exteeeme transportable set Up :D

Source : AK 100 Final Audio Design Edition
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo
Preamp : Wagnus Tube preamp Valvola
Amp: Wagnus Epsilon S
Headphone : LCD 3 Fazor With SAA Endorphin balance 4 PIN + adapter 4 Pin to 6,3 mm
Cable :
Alo Copper : RCA to mini plug
Shunyata Ztron Anaconda : RCA to RCA use adapter Monster RCA to mini plug

Set Up A :
Source : AK 100 FAD
Preamp : Wagnus Tube pre amp Valvola
Amp : Wagnus Epsilon S
Headphone : LCD 3 F

Set Up B :
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo

Set Up C
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo us DAC Section Only
Preamp : Wagnus Tube pre amp Valvola
Amp : Wagnus Epsilon S

The Best SQ from set Up A, B and C as follow

Set Up C > set Up B > set Up A

Note :
Use Shunyata RCA Ztrone Anaconda The SQ different huge compare to Alo RCA
With AK 240 SQ is much better

My desktop set Up :
Source : AK 240
Desktop Amp,: Mass Ko Bo 394
Cable :
Shunyata Ztrone Anaconda
Headphone : LCD 3 Fazor

Mupy Desk top set Up sound quality is The ultimate fidelity sound quality

These portable / transportable set Up A , B and C can not chalemge My Desktop Set Up

IMO

Set Up C :
Source : AK 120 Titan. Mod
SQ : improved compare AK 100 FAD , Fuller sound has better bass body and bass impact , wider soundstage

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #491 of 704
Fantastic results and thank you again Rudi. Your new combo from Wagnus did bring further improvements to Hugo's quality amp section.

I've gotta find someone who could convert those Nordost Odin jumper cables into Mini to Mini IC

http://www.head-fi.org/t/238535/nordost-odin-their-new-top-of-the-line-cable

1236272_1439625059616178_4254256277670000217_n.jpg

1620890_1442342846011066_3455191320775365572_n.jpg

You are welcome Frankie

Thank you For Sharing The cable

Wagnus Epsilon S + Tube pre amp Valvola improve The Hugo amp Section

More High fidelity SQ , Hugo amp SQ is a bit Harsh , Hugo Dac is excellent

IMO

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #492 of 704
Hello Rudi

Congrats for your new portable amps!  More new amps to your collection!

I observed that from your result that the optical out quality of AK players are ranked as below?

1. AK240
2. AK120 Titan
3. AK100 FAD

Is it correct?

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #494 of 704
Hi Zach

Please Dont sell Your Wagnus , you Will regrets hahaha
biggrin.gif

You should add :

Valvola : Tube pre amp

Autenauthor : Pad Evoluzione special Made For very sensitive BA driver like Fit Ear , UM ,JH and many more , The Good Thing PAD is NOT reduce sound quality

You Will like more than before Only With Wagnus Alone , The different is huge

Hey Rudi

I would never sell my wagnus hahahaha
Adding the tube preamp will not affect the epsilon s' clarity or transparency right?

I'm very happy to hear that the PAD evo does not negatively affect SQ, I really hope to get one soon.

Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #495 of 704
Hey Rudi

I would never sell my wagnus hahahaha
Adding the tube preamp will not affect the epsilon s' clarity or transparency right?

I'm very happy to hear that the PAD evo does not negatively affect SQ, I really hope to get one soon.

Thanks for the help! :D

Hi Zach

Adding Tube pre amp Valvola improved The SQ huge
You Will Love Your Wagnus than before
Everything improved
High : more refine and extended , better rendering , better clarity
Mid : The strong Point Become very sweet and has more pronounce
Bass : has better detail and more Clear
Separation : improve In better Way
Soundstage : about The same , because everything Become refine i hear more 3 D
Background : more black background

IMO