Portable headphone amp
Aug 21, 2022 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BOEING 717

New Head-Fier
So I love good sound but am not a very techie type person. I have used the Shure 1540s for 5 years and love the sound. In the past I have used the Fiio Alpen and the Monolith TXH amp/DAC. I really liked the sound of the Monolith DAC with my Fiio M11 DAP. What I am asking is 2 parts. I want better portable sound but am not great with playing around complex equipment. So should I spend money on a better DAP or a better DAC/AMP. I dropped the Monolith from my lap on a flight and they headphone jack broke and I was quoted almost $300 to fix it so might as well just buy a new one.

I know this is an odd thread but my wife is great and said spend anything I want on better equipment for my upcoming birthday. I see some DAC/AMP have tons of features I will never understand to use so I want something simple that is basically point and shoot (to quote the old camera expression) I was looking at the Shure 900 DAC/AMP and it seems pretty simple. The price is fine on the Shure, or do I spend more and get the the Fiio 15 or 17. Will they have more power and allow me to skip the portable DAC.

Sorry this is probably an odd thread but again looking for the best sound but want easy to use and understand equipment. I remember the Monolith DAC was tougher to use then the Fiio Alpen so I want plug in and use for power.

I thank anyone for there help on this. Consider me the average mid 50s not very techie type person but wants good sound and sadly this website has got me buying more and more equipment. That said I really enjoy the Shure 1540s that get mixed reviews on here but they have had me very happy for 5 years

Thank you for your help and advice

Gerard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back