portable headphone amp under $50?
Mar 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus
hi there i have recently just dipped my feet in the headphone community but i have noticed that i still listen straight out of my iphone. 

i'm interested in buying a portable amp for my iphone 3gs ( or potentially samsung galaxy in the future)

i was wondering what would be a good value for under 50 dollar portable amp?

i'm currently using noontec zoros headphones if that makes and difference and i prefer a neutral sound with a slight bass emphasis ( "monster-like" i know)

i've been looking at 

[size=1.7em] FireStone Audio Fireye Mini Black Portable Headphone Amplifier[/size]

Fii06 

and 

[FiiO] E02i 'Rocky

any new suggestions would be great!

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Fiio E6 is a great budget amplifier and is enough to drive the Noontecs smoothly. (To be honest, I don't even think it might require an amp.)

It's better than the E02i, I don't know about the Fireye Mini though. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Fiio E6 is a great budget amplifier and is enough to drive the Noontecs smoothly. (To be honest, I don't even think it might require an amp.)

It's better than the E02i, I don't know about the Fireye Mini though. 

i'm not actually even sure of my rationale for buying an amp. i just figured an amp would make the headphones sound better. my noontecs have a low impedence would it even make a difference?

thats also why i want under 50 so i don't drop a lot of cash and see minimal results if the noontecs don't even need it.

i was thinking of the e02i cause of the smartphone functionality but aside from that i heard very little about that

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7
At 16 ohms I'm not sure these cans would benefit from extra power. I'd probably just leave them as the great value they are rather than putting another $30 into them, especially since if you decide to upgrade your HP in the future, an E02i will be useless for anything worth giving juice to.

If you really want to play around with it, I'd try to pick up a used E11.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
i'm not actually even sure of my rationale for buying an amp. i just figured an amp would make the headphones sound better. my noontecs have a low impedence would it even make a difference?

thats also why i want under 50 so i don't drop a lot of cash and see minimal results if the noontecs don't even need it.

i was thinking of the e02i cause of the smartphone functionality but aside from that i heard very little about that

Well, you could go with a FiiO E6/E11/E02i (if you want phone controls). The FireEye I believe only turns off when unplugged, which was a major inconvenience for me. Don't know if that matters to you. 
Amps are usually overrated in budget rigs. They aren't too much fun to carry around and keep charged, and with low-impedance cans you won't experience much SQ gain. I'd give serious though to just saving the money for better headphones at some point in the future.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Well, you could go with a FiiO E6/E11/E02i (if you want phone controls). The FireEye I believe only turns off when unplugged, which was a major inconvenience for me. Don't know if that matters to you. 
Amps are usually overrated in budget rigs. They aren't too much fun to carry around and keep charged, and with low-impedance cans you won't experience much SQ gain. I'd give serious though to just saving the money for better headphones at some point in the future.

thanks for your response, i think i'll take your advice

however i think i will quit while i'm ahead. since joining head-fi i think i bought like 4 headphones. 

i now have noontec zoro, monoprice 8323, 2x monoprice 8320s, monoprice 8319, and my klipsch s4i and a star headphone ( mix-style)

i don't have enough ears to go around to listen to all of them... so i'll try to stick with what i have  for now......(hopefully i don't get tempted)

however i've been looking at the monster diamond tears and the m-80s right now thought =)

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
At 16 ohms I'm not sure these cans would benefit from extra power. I'd probably just leave them as the great value they are rather than putting another $30 into them, especially since if you decide to upgrade your HP in the future, an E02i will be useless for anything worth giving juice to.

If you really want to play around with it, I'd try to pick up a used E11.

thanks i will probably do just that =) less money to spend the better =) on a student budget so i'll need every penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back