portable headphone amp recommendation for Onkyo DP-X1 / massdrop senn hd58x
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lightftl

New Head-Fier
I've sold all audio gear due to significant life changes. Ive moved to a headphone only situation and placed the majority of my music collection on digital cards in Onkyo DP-X1. Own grado 225e headphones, various iems of reasonable price that i can drive through the balanced output. Just purchased a pair of sennheiser massdrop 58xx headphones and a balanced cable. I suspect the DP-X1 will drive the senn's. However, was wondering if an external portable amp is the way to go. I'm looking for recommendation for affordable portable amps to drive higher impedance/lower sensitivity phones using the DP-X1 if I decide I need to extract more from the senns. If I see this correctly I would be connecting the 3.5mm headphone out to the line in on any portable amp making the need for a DAC/amp combo a waste of $$ at this juncture. At the time I bought the DP-X1 I didn't foresee the lifestyle change and plan for more flexibility with the DAP. I like the sound of the DP-X1. Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 11
I have the Pioneer XDP 300r which is basically the same dap. Used my Headstage Arrow, which was brilliant alongside my Fiio X3ii, but didn’t find it did much for the pioneer, nor was it a great physical match for stacking.

I’ve also been using my ALO Continental v2 with the pioneer and my Fidelio X2s, and it’s a fantastic synergy, precision from the dap, warmth from the tube, making for a beautiful balanced listen. Would highly recommend, with the only caveat being that it’s more a transportable than portable rig. On the go with my iems i don’t bother with an amp now, I like the pioneer sig enough as is.

Bit rambling but hopefully of help!

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I've sold all audio gear due to significant life changes. Ive moved to a headphone only situation and placed the majority of my music collection on digital cards in Onkyo DP-X1. Own grado 225e headphones, various iems of reasonable price that i can drive through the balanced output. Just purchased a pair of sennheiser massdrop 58xx headphones and a balanced cable. I suspect the DP-X1 will drive the senn's. However, was wondering if an external portable amp is the way to go. I'm looking for recommendation for affordable portable amps to drive higher impedance/lower sensitivity phones using the DP-X1 if I decide I need to extract more from the senns. If I see this correctly I would be connecting the 3.5mm headphone out to the line in on any portable amp making the need for a DAC/amp combo a waste of $$ at this juncture. At the time I bought the DP-X1 I didn't foresee the lifestyle change and plan for more flexibility with the DAP. I like the sound of the DP-X1. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the particular setup you're asking about, but based on specs and user feedback, the HD58X should not be hard to drive with a DAP.

In terms of recommendations for a portable amp for high-impedance headphones, what budget range are you looking for? Phatlab Phantasy is a delight, but it's huge and extremely expensive if you don't get a great deal on a secondhand one. XRK Pocket Class A or Aune B1S might be worth a look. But again, shouldn't be at all necessary for the HD58x.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the Pioneer XDP 300r which is basically the same dap. Used my Headstage Arrow, which was brilliant alongside my Fiio X3ii, but didn’t find it did much for the pioneer, nor was it a great physical match for stacking.

I’ve also been using my ALO Continental v2 with the pioneer and my Fidelio X2s, and it’s a fantastic synergy, precision from the dap, warmth from the tube, making for a beautiful balanced listen. Would highly recommend, with the only caveat being that it’s more a transportable than portable rig. On the go with my iems i don’t bother with an amp now, I like the pioneer sig enough as is.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 11

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't have the particular setup you're asking about, but based on specs and user feedback, the HD58X should not be hard to drive with a DAP.

In terms of recommendations for a portable amp for high-impedance headphones, what budget range are you looking for? Phatlab Phantasy is a delight, but it's huge and extremely expensive if you don't get a great deal on a secondhand one. XRK Pocket Class A or Aune B1S might be worth a look. But again, shouldn't be at all necessary for the HD58x.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I receive the headphones yesterday. Have to admit I am pleasantly surprised with how they sound driven right out of the Onkyo DAP through the 2.5mm balanced output. I think Ill let it be for now and then experiment. Saw some interesting stuff on the little bear B4 with opamp upgrades. The schitt magni/vali also caught my attention even though they are not portable.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 11
update- I received the headphones yesterday. Have to admit I am pleasantly surprised with how they sound driven right out of the Onkyo DAP through the 2.5mm balanced output. I think Ill let it be for now and then experiment. Saw some interesting stuff on the little bear B4 with opamp upgrades. The schitt magni/vali also caught my attention even though they are not portable.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 11
update- I received the headphones yesterday. Have to admit I am pleasantly surprised with how they sound driven right out of the Onkyo DAP through the 2.5mm balanced output. I think Ill let it be for now and then experiment. Saw some interesting stuff on the little bear B4 with opamp upgrades. The schitt magni/vali also caught my attention even though they are not portable.

Be warned the B4 may require more than just an opamp swap to be usable. I've got one with a Burson V5i and it's so noisy it's unusable with almost all my headphones. Some folks in the B4 thread are doing much more extensive modding than I'm up to.

It could be that I just got a particularly bad unit, or maybe they've made changes to the B4 over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back