portable headphone amp for ipod classic 160gb
Nov 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sneby09

New Head-Fier
hey everyone
just wondering what a good portable headphone amp is for my ipod. Im running grado gs1000i's and ive got 500$ to burn on an amp. also id prefer if the amp could be run on batterys. i do realize that i sound like a complete noob cause i am lol. thank ur everyone

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 17
If you are just looking for an amp try reading this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b

has so many compared at many price ranges.

If you need a dac/amp try this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/306883/updated-2-22-review-13-usb-dac-amp-predator-pico-2-3move-d10-d3-d2-viper-boa-d1-lyrix-microamp-vivid-v1-nuforce-xm5

Once you read those feel free to ask questions. You should also post what music you like and what format they are in.Which ipod and what you are looking for in sound.

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 17
thank u i will start reading thos now and i listen to all kinds of metal, folk , progressive, dubstep, instrumental, some mainstream stuff, rock, classic rock, alternative, indie, ambient, anti folk, classical, electro industrial, folk rock, post and a hell of alot more. the audio format is sadly mp3 at 320 kbps at best. im trying to get beter quality tho. Im looking for basically the purest and truest sound possible to the recording with a budget of course lol

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 17
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/
Ray is a pretty cool guy so he will give advice for a good amp to go with your headphones I personally would say get the P-51 Mustang or the Predator. The predator has an insanely long battery life and the P-51 runs on batteries.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/
Ray is a pretty cool guy so he will give advice for a good amp to go with your headphones I personally would say get the P-51 Mustang or the Predator. The predator has an insanely long battery life and the P-51 runs on batteries.

This is wrong - the P-51 has a lithium ion battery that has very, very long battery life. I don't know about the Predator but I had the P-51 and only had to charge it a handful of times in the last 9 months.  

Edit: The P-51 is a very solid amp. I would also look into the TTVJ Slim. Great sound. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
This is wrong - the P-51 has a lithium ion battery that has very, very long battery life. I don't know about the Predator but I had the P-51 and only had to charge it a handful of times in the last 9 months.  

Edit: The P-51 is a very solid amp. I would also look into the TTVJ Slim. Great sound. 

Hows the ttvj working for you?

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Subscribed. I'll be getting a classic in the future and I think i'll add a new amp to boot. Hope to see interesting suggestions! Thanks guys!

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 17
thank u i will start reading thos now and i listen to all kinds of metal, folk , progressive, dubstep, instrumental, some mainstream stuff, rock, classic rock, alternative, indie, ambient, anti folk, classical, electro industrial, folk rock, post and a hell of alot more. the audio format is sadly mp3 at 320 kbps at best. im trying to get beter quality tho. Im looking for basically the purest and truest sound possible to the recording with a budget of course lol

If your ever in Vancouver then I am more than happy to meet up at a quiet coffee shop so that you can hear my Corda Stepdance/classic/CLAS set up with your headphones.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm listening to it as a DAC right now as I write this. I only started using it since yesterday and I'm kind of dumb-founded/wrapping my head around the sound. As a DAC I believe it infuses its own signature completely over whatever headphone you're using. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Maybe it's because it's my first DAC so I really have no reference. But it's definitely very intimate while still being spacious sounding. I also notice a lot more 'echo' in the vocals. Almost sounds like you're in a concert hall.

The whole time I was waiting to hear this amp, I was just hoping I would hear a substantial difference in sound and I have. When amped to an iPod or iPhone, it definitely sounds more analog. It's warmer in tonality, soundstage opens a bit (it had a nice effect on my HD25s), it has powerful and nicely textured bass while being tight and, overall it feels more involving. The headstage expands and the instruments are all around you all of a sudden. More 3D to my ears. Today I was trying to research more on other people impressions on this amp (and especially the dac section) but to no avail. I think I read all the threads on this already and there aren't many. But anyway, I think this is the amp for me. I wonder how it will pair with other cans that are harder to power. So far I've only tried them with my HD25, M-80s, and Aviators. Anyway, take my impressions with a grain of salt as I've only started listening to it. I do feel that everything is balanced though and all instruments have their place in the space. 

How are you liking the P-51?

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 17
using the black p51 and love it. It improves the sound stage and pushes my ie-11 quite well. Rich full sound with great detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back