Portable headphone amp for a crippled french device... I need help
Dec 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

The_Blood_Raven

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I just ordered an Archos 5 and am hearing about the crippled output of only 9mw. I have UE Super.fi 5 Pros, and though they don't require much with dual drivers and only 32omhs Impedance, I am worried. To increase the bass response, lower distortion, and to increase volume a bit I am looking for a very small headphone amp, hopefully for cheap. The Fiio's E5 looks good, but I hear that it will produce a hissing and just generally sound pretty bad with my rather low impedance earphones, so I'm not sure about it. I was looking at the upbeat audio Boostaroo, but it looks as though it would be a distortion fest. The only other one I can find that seems alright is the Travagan’s Colors, but it does not look like much and is a little more than what I want to spend. I am willing to buy it if a portable headphone amp will help me and if I am sure it wont make my earphones sound like crap. Any suggestions, opinions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 3
First - Welcome to head-fi - I'm sorry for your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Secondly, I wouldn't do anything until you have tried it with your IEMs - head-fi will be an expensive place for you to hang out if you buy only based on what others here talk about...

Finally, don't impulse buy a cr@ppy mass market amp (like a boosteroo) - you will regret it. You would be much better off saving your money and getting an amp that will work well in your system. Keep researching - particularly about the gain settings of amps, using the line-out instead of the headphone out on your DAP (if it has one), etc. There are many options for low-gain amps - including the possibility of getting an inexpensive (but still very usable) CMoy amp configured with a lower gain for your 'phones.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks billybob_jcv. I am not new to headphone amps and high quality setups. I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether an amp will be NEEDED for my UE Super.fi 5s. I already own a nice custom made amp, but I don't want to lug around that huge thing. I want a very small amp that will still give me enough power to color the bass of my 'phones to what they should be and slightly increase the volume output. I am not all that worried about price, but the only small amps that seem decent are the Fiio's E5 and Travagan’s Colors, but both do not seem to be too high in quality and the E5s are just uncomfortably cheap. I was just looking for some general advice for my dilemma, and was wondering about this hissing issue the E3 and likely the E5 have with low impedance and high sensitivity 'phones like mine. I could always use the included attenuator to increase the resistance, but I think that would defeat the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back