Portable headphone amp /dac ?
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 27
so toppings nx4 3.5mm analogue jack to the sony 3.5mm analogue jack is adequate enough to use the dac part of the topping nx4 dac part ?

No, then you would be using the amp section of the nx4, NOT the dac section.

But what they're saying is: if you have a decent DAP, why do you want to bypass its internal DAC in favor of a low-end external DAC?

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 27
because i think that the topping nx4s dac is better then my sony nw-35s dac and topping also has a amp with it too

What makes you think the DAC in the in the Topping is better than the DAC in your Sony? Because if it's not, you may be able to get more value for your money by getting just an amp (rather than a dac/amp combo unit).

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 27
because i think that the topping nx4s dac is better then my sony nw-35s dac and topping also has a amp with it too

How do you know it's better?

If you actually compared the Walkman vs the NX4, you're not isolating the DACs to test how good the DACs are, unless you use both via line out to an amplifier. What you're most likely hearing in this case is the combination of the DAC and amp, and chances are this is where the NX4 would have an advantage over a DAP, not on the DAC.

Jut use the Sony via analogue line out to an amp.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 27
How do you know it's better?

If you actually compared the Walkman vs the NX4, you're not isolating the DACs to test how good the DACs are, unless you use both via line out to an amplifier. What you're most likely hearing in this case is the combination of the DAC and amp, and chances are this is where the NX4 would have an advantage over a DAP, not on the DAC.

Jut use the Sony via analogue line out to an amp.
via analogue u mean the 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm?

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 27
Sounds like you should save yourself some money and get a headphone amp since your DAP has a comparable dac anyway. I've had a topping nx1 for years and it's great. Was only like $35. There may be better one's for the $ now though. Wouldn't have to buy any fancy cables either.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 27
so all i want to know how do i use both the amp and dac part of any portable headphone amp/dac with any source of be it iphone or sony wm ?
You connect the digital output of the phone/DAP/whatever to the digital input of the portable DAC/amp. That would be the Lightning port of an iPhone or the micro USB port of pretty much any Android phone or most DAPs to the USB input connector on the portable DAC/amp. Sounds like the Sony uses a proprietary connector.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #26 of 27
You connect the digital output of the phone/DAP/whatever to the digital input of the portable DAC/amp. That would be the Lightning port of an iPhone or the micro USB port of pretty much any Android phone or most DAPs to the USB input connector on the portable DAC/amp. Sounds like the Sony uses a proprietary connector.
so if i just use the 3.5 mm jacks of both devices together i am basically using the amp part of the portable amp/dac and if i use micro usb to lightning or micro usb to sonys property connection i am able to use both the amp and dac part of the portable amp/dac right ? am i making any sense lol

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 27
so if i just use the 3.5 mm jacks of both devices together i am basically using the amp part of the portable amp/dac and if i use micro usb to lightning or micro usb to sonys property connection i am able to use both the amp and dac part of the portable amp/dac right ? am i making any sense lol
That's the basic gist of it.

Just remember: DAC = Digital-to-Analog Converter. 3.5mm will ALWAYS be analog output. And analog output means it's already been converted. If it's already converted, it's going to bypass the DAC of the next link of the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back