Portable Head-Fi vs Car Audio vs Home Audio - One Man's Mission to Music Nirvana
Jul 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

denimjunkie82

New Head-Fier
[size=9.5pt]Greetings, community:[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]I have officially jumped onto head-fi-land yesterday with my order of a pair of Yamaha EPH-100s. I also plan to get a pair of full sized headphones in the next few months (more on that in a bit). First, a little bit on how I got here.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]I first started in car audio, tricking out my 1995 Sentra. My constant revolving door of equipment included:[/size]
[size=9.5pt]2 head units[/size]
[size=9.5pt]2 different component sets for the front[/size]
[size=9.5pt]2 pairs of "regular" 6.5 speakers for the front (before being replaced by components)[/size]
[size=9.5pt]2 different 12" subs[/size]
[size=9.5pt]2 types of sub enclosures[/size]
[size=9.5pt]3 different amps for subs[/size]
[size=9.5pt]1 amp for fronts[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]It was not the most amazing rig by car audio standards, but it was a lot of bang-for-the-buck with my limited funds while in college and working at a big box electronics store. There was a lot of mix and matching as my rig kept evolving. I ultimately finished with a high end Alpine HU, US Acoustics speaker amp powering CDT comps, and a 1500 watt Brutus amp powering a single Resonant Engineering 12" sub, enclosed within a huge custom enclosure tuned to provide max bump at 32 Hz for a great back massage while driving. I credit this experience as giving me a pretty critical ear for quality sound. [/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Fast forward 10 years. The car has been junked and car audio equipment sold many years ago. In replacement of a car, I use a bus pass. I now own my own home and have slightly touched on home audio, but realized that I cannot build what I truly want because I share walls with my neighbors. Plus, home audio is expensive as hell. My setup current consists of:[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]- upper end Onkyo receiver[/size]
[size=9.5pt]- lower end B&W floorstandings and center (pre-owned, from the 90s)[/size]
[size=9.5pt]- Outlaw Audio 10" sub, which is hardly ever pushed above 10% of its max level because of my situation with neighbors[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]My home audio experience is unsatisfying because I can't turn it up and let my babies sing. So I've decided not to add anymore to my rig at home for it would be a waste of money.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]It has been many years since I've heard the amazing sounds from my Sentra. I am craving some good sound quality to stream into my my ear canals. I do not have a car, and I cannot do it at home. What's my last option? Portable head-fi to the rescue.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]I don’t have much experience with portables. I used my Gameboy earbuds when I was 12. I used the half-IEM hybrids that came with my Sony Ericsson w810 walkman-phone (which sounded great for stock equipment) in the mid 2000s. I also owned a pair of Sony MDR-EX90LPs many years ago to pair with a 2nd gen Nano, which I found very unsatisfying for their purchase price of around $100. Or perhaps it was the Nano that had bad SQ (it was my first, and last, Apple purchase. But that's a different story). And now, for the past year I have been using a pair of Bose "around-ear" headphones which I won at a company Christmas party. The Bose headphones are...well they're Bose. It works, I guess, because I don't own anything else. And sadly, they’re better than anything else portable that I own (which is nothing).[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]So yesterday, after quite a bit of research, I pulled the trigger on a pair of EPH-100s for pairing with my Samsung Galaxy S. I’m not sure what to expect. I suppose they'll be better than the EX90s, which I lost and haven't used in years. I do expect them to be better than the Bose headphones, which have a very narrow soundstage and muffled highs. I'm not sure if the bass will be able to compete with the larger drivers of the Bose headphones though, but I hope that it will.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]In addition to these IEMs, I also fully intend to buy a pair of full-sized headphones which I can show off to my buddies. I probably also want a dedicated player, and perhaps a portable amp. Not sure yet...it's all up in the air and I will definitely be doing more research. But it will come soon enough, because I am tired of seeing my buddies proudly rocking their Beats by Dre and telling me how amazing they are. After so many years immersed in the A/V world, I am fully aware of what Monster and Beats bring to the table in terms of pricepoint and quality. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable rig of my own yet to counter my friends' Beats, so it would be futile do anything aside from submissively nodding and saying "yeah, I guess these sound pretty good. How much did you pay again?".[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]So now I'm here, and I intend to be staying for a while. I do have question and I hope you guys can share some of your opinions and experiences:[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Will portable head-fi be able to rival my experience in car audio, and to a lesser extent, home audio? I know I can't expect a back massage from the bass that my car's sub offered. But what about the overall soundstage...of feeling like I am enveloped within blissful music nirvana? Can decent full-sized headphones or IEMs be able to induce the feeling that I have a subwoofer physically bound to my head? Can they replicate the physical vibrations felt in the head and chest from a cleanly strummed acoustic guitar string? I guess my  ultimate question is...can I find true satisfaction coming from such small drivers, and to adequately satiate any future desires for another car or home audio setup?[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope some of you can empathize and look forward to reading your replies.[/size]

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet, in ahead of time.

I think you'll be glad to know that headphones can sound pretty damn great. Coming from car audio, you'll be surprised at the clarity and immersion that a good headphone can provide. And the best part is you don't have to spend all that much to get a good headphone setup going.

Just keep in mind, more bass is not better. Most home audio and headphone enthusiasts like a balanced audio presentation. Car audio, on the other hand, tends to be focused on packing as many subwoofers into your trunk as possible and creating an obnoxious amount of dBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back