Portable Head/Earphones for me £200/$320 Budget
Jan 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 20
Next stage, removed clip-ons, because of comfort and availability. Sennheiser HD25 1-II added.

ATH-ES7- £90 - Not sure if these actually come close in SQ to the others I listed
ATH-ESW9A - £180 - a bit scared of the plasticky band that can break easily.
Ultrasone HFI-780 - £130 - Unsure if I can get a shorter 1.2m cable.
ATH-M50 - £120
HD25 1-II - £150

Tried posting in the full headphones section and got no response.

At this point ES7, HFI-780 and M50 are my favourites with HD25 coming close.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 20
While I won't dispute your personal preference, I will argue that clip ons get a bad rap from a select few who can not stand them for various reasons. Much the same way some people just can't wear Grados. Personally, I can't think of a better less cumbersome portable option.
-Very lightweight
-Come with shirt clip to reduce ear tug
-Fits under wool cap (midwest winter now, it's a must!)
-Balanced sound, not unlike KSC75's without the "sparkly" treble.
-Upgrades with nicer components well
Sorry to threadjack there, just I don't want people getting the wrong idea about these particular Yuins.
FWIW, I'd go with the HD25's as I heard they stand up to abuse pretty well. A must for me, as my portables can take a good beating! Good luck in your search Bud!

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I won't dispute your personal preference, I will argue that clip ons get a bad rap from a select few who can not stand them for various reasons. Much the same way some people just can't wear Grados. Personally, I can't think of a better less cumbersome portable option.
-Very lightweight
-Come with shirt clip to reduce ear tug
-Fits under wool cap (midwest winter now, it's a must!)
-Balanced sound, not unlike KSC75's without the "sparkly" treble.
-Upgrades with nicer components well
Sorry to threadjack there, just I don't want people getting the wrong idea about these particular Yuins.
FWIW, I'd go with the HD25's as I heard they stand up to abuse pretty well. A must for me, as my portables can take a good beating! Good luck in your search Bud!

I am especially concerned with their comfort because I wear glasses.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #19 of 20
I still have not decided.

I am now only interested in ESW9 and ES7. I would buy used ESW9 for around double price of new ES7

My question is; are esw9s that much better to pay double price for them?

Of course regardless of my choice I will buy the HPP5 hard case by AT to make sure they are safe in transport.

EDIT: Will ES7 be a big enough upgrade over my AKG K450, which after burn-in I believe are very nice?

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 20
No suggestions?

There are used ESW9s in the UK for sale in the forum for ca. 150GBP, I think I will just grab them.

BTW. I will also be getting ready to get the IE8s as your recommendations and my own research shows they are really worth having
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back